Tube Audio Design  TAD150
Description: TAD-150 Tube Preamplifier Features and Specifications:<br><br> <li>Remote Control Volume, Mute and Input Selection <li>Exclusive fixed input load design for superior sonic clarity Home Theatre Bypass. Can integrate with your two main front HT amps <li>3 gold RCA single ended line level input pairs <li>1 Phono Input, Solid State & Tube (MM or MC cartridges) <li>2 pairs of gold Output RCA jacks allow bi-amping, adding a sub-woofer or HT movie Bypass Headphone jack with impedance matching circuit <li>Supplied with 2 excellent sounding 12AT7 tubes <li>Designed to use 12AX7, 12AT7 or 12AU7 types <li>LARGE: 17”W x 14-1/2”D x 4-3/4”H <li>HEAVY: 21 lbs, 25 lbs packed <li>Durable steel chassis - can place a 50 pound tube amp on top <li>Beautiful Italian designed glowing tubes faceplate <li>US 117AC power only <li>Normal US market 12.6db gain: 1VRMS in = 4.25VRMS out max <li>Low Distortion: THD <0.04% at 1v, 20-20kHz <li>Signal to Noise: >90dB <li>Line Level input Impedance: 47k Ohm <li>Phono input: MM 47k Ohms, 42db, MC 50 Ohms 54db gain(outside switchable) <li>Main output impedance: <600 Ohms

Submitted by eyeshack a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2006

Bottom Line:
This is my first review here, and its in a similar vein to others on the TAD 150 preamplifier. I purchased this preamplifier with quite a bit of trepidation, since I always want to have some hands on controlled listening with equipment that I am familiar with. For the last 15 years or so, my primary preamplifiers and amplifier have been with Bedini equipment, including a limited editin Bedini control preamplifier that I have owned for 15 years plus some bedini upgrades and modifications that runs off battery power. Bedini has been one of the recommended amplifiers and preamps by Richard Shahinian whose Diapasan and double Eagle Subwoofer I own. If you have not heard this combination which is the majority of you, it is an incredible loudspeaker combination. However it does require a lot of power to bring out the best and it takes amplifiers on ratings of 2ohms or less in some frequency spectrums although nominally a 6 ohm combination. see their website. back to the TAD 150. I had bought, modified volume pod etc the Transcendent Sound Tube Preamplifier, which for the money is a very nice do it yourself kit (Or they can do it for you) Invariably however, and I admit I am new to kits you end up switching tubes, and modifying. But it let me to Tubes, yet I was aware of a deficiency in the Bass and mid bass area at least on my setup although a lot of the nice things about it would be a separate review. It is open, and spacious with excellent highs especially when used with the Bedini, and the thing about tube equipment that I remember from my old Mac and Fisher days was that I did not like the way it seem to make voices sound as though through a cheese cloth, especially in the lower male registry. I had switched from the Transcendent sound to a little, small footpad cheap looking preamp from DCC Audio. You will never buy it on Looks but when you listen to it, it matches the Transcendent preamp in openness with in my humple opinion a much better bass and midrange sound. Its bass sound is awsome and at half the price of the Transcendent preamp. But... for the price, they throw in two cheap volume pods which need to be changed, and the tubes are not top line. changed out however, it kicks. One input, no phono, etc. no remote, i was looking to upgrade. As others have said before me, the great thing about buying from Bizzy Bee is Paul, an extremely knowledgeable, Experienced and Generous with his time individual that it was a pleasure to speak to on numerous ocassions. So I took a gamble and bought a TAD 150 Preamp.
First thing... break it in for a about 40 hours you will hear a difference. I hooked it up to music and let it play using my Musical Concepts Platinum DAC, latest generation, which john Hillig the owner, had made sure i was aware of. Ran through the Bedini and even without breaking in, was distinctly better in several areas in my opinion than its predecesors in my lineup. My better half who puts up with my dallying on equipment, came into the room and enjoyed some music and wine. This was bear in mind not broken in. I could use a lot of terminology, but all I can say was that it was life like in its reproduction. I listen to jazz, Pop and classics and we went through a lot of material. I had an opportunity to buy at a good price a Rogue Audio magnum 88 on ebay, an i brought it in, it didnt work, and the people at Rogue Audio were supernice and fixed it for me and returned it in a week. However it could not handle the load of the Diapaisans and the Double Eagle Subwoofers and the power was short. So I biamped it with the Bedini for Bass and the 88 for the Diapaisans. I compared the phono preamp sectin of the TAD, which is Transistor with several others, and it was excellent but not outstanding. I have recommended to Paul a Phono tube section, but what do you want at this price. Is this the best sounding tube preamp, I kind of doubt it. Even though I bought it with all of Paul's top of the line mods included. If you are looking for the best money can buy, this is not the preamp for you... What it is is certainly where its strong points are:
Its extremely musical, transparent, neutral sounding, and has excellent bass.
It allows multiple inputs and twin outputs. its has an excellent remote control, although mine has a mute button that is not working since I got it, a minor fix but I have not been willing to part with it. I have auditioned many other tube preamps and I do not know of any at three to ten times the price that blow it away. It stays with them, and puts the musician and the singers in the room with you. But I got curious if it sounded so lifelike with the Rogue 88 Magnum and the Bedini 803 combo, what would it sound like with Paul's 1000 monoblocks and also there was the issue of unbalanced power outputs of the Rogue and Bedini not matching. Yes,I bought a pair of these babies and broke them in and listened to music. I'm still listening. so enjoy

Purchased At:   bizzybee web site

Submitted by machani a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have a Cayin TA-30 integrated amp which is renowned for its smooth, lively sonics and soundstage. I was skeptical about whether an external preamp could improve the sound. Nevertheless I ordered a TAD-150 preamp after reading the unanimously positive opinions from serious audiophiles.

Boy was I delightfully surprised when I hooked up my TAD-150 (standard version) preamp to the Cayin. Actually, my reaction was more of amazement, that something could sound this good. The TAD-150 opened up the soundstage, added depth, width and height and made my speakers disappear into a three-dimensional, holographic space. The sound comes layered, with musicians and instruments being separated and occupying
distict spaces from which the music just flows. The TAD-150 also improves the highs, fleshes out the tones and improves the definition and timbre of the bass.

The TAD-150 took my Cayin amp to a new level of transparency, clarity and realism. My system has become so transparent that I easily notice differences in cables. That said, by adding vibration damping (Vibrapods) and replacing the stock power cord I was able to get further improvements in image focus and depth.

The build quality is second to none. It has a very pleasing look with the bright blue LEDs and warm glow of tubes from the tube windows. The remote control is really handy.

Last but not least, Paul of Tube Audio Design is a great guy to deal with.

Purchased At:   Tube Audio Design

Submitted by vlad1456 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2005

Bottom Line:
The Tube Audio Design TAD150 is a definite bargain in tube pre amps. I purchased a TAD150 with the Signature Series upgrade (a $238 option). This tube pre-amp is made in China by Audcom and then modded by Paul in the United States. You get line level inputs and a moving magnet/moving coil phono input as well. The TAD150 also comes with an excellent headphone input.The sound is excellent and the fit and finish on this unit is fantastic! The looks are also fabulous (you can see the tubes glowing inside the pre-amp) You also get a remote control, which is something you don't get with most pre-amps these days. My current setup is as follows: TAD150 pre-amp, AMC CVT2030S Class A Hybrid Tube Amp, JBL S38 speakers, and Micromega Stage 1 cd player. Paul at Tube Audio Design is great to deal with. You won't find a better tube pre-amp in this price range.

Purchased At:   www.tubeaudiodesign.