Quad 44
Description: Stereo Preamplifier

Submitted by i4ever a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2011

Bottom Line:
A great sounding preamp which will entertain like nothing else around the £400 price tag, timing, control, seperation and instruments (Good overall control) is where this amp shines, you will need good interconnections, and source to get the best out of her, been using her for about a year or 2 now. Also used Rotel rc1080 pre which had greater punch in the bass, but not half as musical in the rest of the spectrum. A classic.

Submitted by andytgd a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2011

Bottom Line:
Can any please inform me on how to connect a Quad 44 pre amp to my old Quad 303 power amp??
Also is it possible to connect my 44 to a Quad 99 power amp?
Many thanks.

Submitted by mcc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2004

Bottom Line:
I've been using the Quad 44/405-II combo for over 6 years, in addition to the years that my dad's been using it. Recently I found a shop selling an Audio Research LS2, LS3B, LS7, and LS9, each going for $700+ dollars. Given that my dad's present system uses an AR SP-5, I thought that it was time to upgrade my system. I did a lot of research on the internet, and was convinced that any of the AR preamps would completely outdo my Quad 44.
The audio shop with the ARs hooked each of the preamps to an Aragon 4004 and QEF speakers. My dad and I were not impressed with the sound produced by any of the setups. For comparison, I hooked up my old Quad 44, and to my immense surprise, the music came alive! Both my dad and the salesman agreed that Quad 44 sounded a LOT better than all the venerable Audio Research preamplifiers (It's also a whole lot cheaper).
We ended up purchasing the Aragon 4004. The 405-II is a great power-amp, but realistically, the Aragon 4004 is just in a completely different league.

Purchased At:   Inherited from my da

Submitted by Graham Nelson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
Originally, I bought this unit as part of a package, which included a Quad 405 power amp - it was supposed to be an upgrade over a large Rotel integrated amp. I was well pleased ... this combination gave me a fuller sound than I had experienced before. Seemingly more not so much more transparent but greater tonal accuracy, and certianly much less fatiguing (read "irritating"!) when listening to more shrill sounds, such as flute, piano or female voice, which seemed much more natural with this combination. I later upgraded to a second 405 and had Quad do all the necessary work for me - the 44 with a mono pair of 405s. Wow! Big upgrade in sound. Fuller sound, more 3-D and better dynamics. However, while the 44 was away being worked on I fixed up the old Rotel integrated's pre-amp section to the Quad 405s ... I was in for a big surprise. Not much difference when I played tape or CD but records ... The Rotel phono section was much the superior to the Quad 44, such that I could now hear a SIGNIFICANT bettering of sound quality with vinyl over CD.

I subsequently bought an Eico ST70 integrated tune amp, a much older beastie than the Quad ... have to say its phono section bettered the Quad 44, too.

Purchased At:   Gone out of business

Submitted by biggarthomas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've read tons of criticalmaterial about this pre. The only thing that the critics made me want to do is to try it out. I have used a Quad 33 pre for about 20 years. I have listend to many kits set up by friends but just about always want to get home to my own kit. Last night i took posesion of a Quad 44 pre. Hooked it up and let me tell you - i thought that there was something wrong with my speakers. My first impression was, where are all of those instruments coming from in what I thought was a familiar piece of Latin music? Wow, let me tell you. I've got the 44 hooked to two 303s which in turn are driving two Kef65.2s. Now I know what soundstage really means!!

True, as others say, the Quad pre is not as detailed as some preamps but I'd have to spend ten times the money I paid for the Quad to get more detail. I find that the bass is greta for me, a classical, blues & jazz lover. There is more than enough bass for the Stone's Stripped album and for the Greatful Workingman's Dead & Bob Marley & The Wailers. Sure, what passes for "bass" & "treble" controls on the 44 are going to take some getting used to but in my view, thy seem to work better than traditional controls. I agree with the previous reviwer who said that this pre is neutral. My living room sounds like a damn good concert hall not like the sound room in my local hi-fi shop. I just love it that I can have such sound at the same price point at which many people buy absolute garbage.