Placete Model

Submitted by Joe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have just installed this unit between my Sony DVP9000ES and Audio Research 100.2. I have been very impressed to date. This preamp works as advertised. I can clearly hear certain vocal passages and soft percussion that I could not make out before. Perhaps, the most honest product I have encountered. It reduces the signal and imparts clarity and lower distortion just as Guy Hammel said it would.

Submitted by JD3 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
My NHT VT-2 5.1 audio/video system needed an analog volume control to play SACD from a Sony 9000ES CD/DVD/SACD player with a by-pass when using a Theta Casa Nova to play DVD. Placete had the right combo for just over $1100. While this Review area only has space for a pre-amp unit, Placete has 3 different pre-amps, an active unit at around $4000, a passive unit at around $1400, & the one I got, a Volume Control Unit for a single input for $1000 with an added by-pass for an extra $100. Easy to set up & plays analog SACD with such clarity that my NHT VT-2 sounds almost as good as my larger stereo system with Martin Logan SL3's. This is the answer for audio-manics that need a simple answer to play SACD stereo within an all digital 5.1 digital system

Purchased At:   Placete

Submitted by Verbatum a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have the passive version and it is simply a straight wire with gain...the ideal that all preamps are supposed to strive for...but seldom achieve. Requires a good break in. Fit and finish are absolutely first rate. Transparent, grainless and uncolored.

Purchased At:   Placette

Submitted by fordcoupe a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
I inserted the Placette one input remote unit into my system with much anticipation
It did not disappoint! Rather, it was very dynamic and transparent. The soundstage was wider and deeper than my previous active preamps (exc. the Cello). This passive pre is worth every penny, and a bargain used. I have used the EVS passive controls and found them to lack in dynamics. I use only a turntable, so the single input is all that is needed. My system is a Basis table/Graham 2.2/VPI SDS/Helikon/Pass Xono/Placette/KR VT6000 monos/Nordost Quattros and SPM Ref. cables/Virt. Dynamics Nite power cords/Wilson Watt/active air suspension tables.

Purchased At:   audiogon

Submitted by gold a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
Nice preamp! Clearly the best passive unit on the market. If you want to hear clarity from your source material you must try the Placette. It really is transparent. Some might like tubes but the low noise floor makes the Placette my first choice.