Outlaw Audio Model 950
Description: "Using the latest surround processing technology from Cirrus Logic, the Model 950 is the only product in its price class to offer a complete range of surround processing modes. The Model 950 is the only surround processor under $900, and is one of the few units at any price to offer Dolby Digital® Surround EX®, Dolby ProLogic II®, the complete suite of DTS-ES® and DTS Neo:6® processing and decoding, and Cirrus Logic’s Extra Surround™, in addition to 5 Channel Stereo and 7 Channel Stereo modes. This incredible array of surround options assures compatibility with the widest range of source material, delivering 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 channel sound fields, depending on the user’s speaker configuration."

Submitted by Eli72 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2007

Bottom Line:
Excellent surround processor has everything you need to enjoy music and movies. Can be compare to processor selling over $1000. Not much to add that already has not been said. My priority was music and this unit delivered in that department. I don't see myself upgrading this gear for many years

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by DanTanna a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have had this unit for 3 years and it is great. The yahoo complaining about the 2 channel imaging is a Marantz troll - do not believe a word he says. DVDs and regular TV sound amazing considering all the sound optionsthat are avaliable. The price was right and the only complaint I have is that there is no phono jack on the front. Oh, and the remote - most other universal remote don't have a code for Outlaw.

Submitted by DanTanna a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2007

Submitted by martialovid a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2005

Bottom Line:
the sound is clear, precise, and musical, with more than enough choices for surround modes, as well as sn outstanding purist direct, two channel choice as well. The five and seven channel cirrus possibilities are awesome, a word I never use in this context. The tech support is the best I have ever seen by a company.

Purchased At:   outlaw directly

Submitted by MAB a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2005

Bottom Line:
I've had the 950/7100 combo for about three weeks now, and have but a few complaints, and even those are extremely minor. This is the third unit I've demo'd in a search for a replacement of my Denon 2800, the first two being the latest Denon 2805 (I ventured a guess that if the 2805 wasn't cutting it, the 3805 would be much the same) and a Rotel 1056. I've submitted a review on each of those in their own section.

Anyway, back to the 950. I basically found out about it by a comment in a magazine and checking the reviews posted here. The $1,500 special (combo deal with the 7100) wasn't a huge stretch from the $1,170 I was willing to spend on the Rotel, so I took a shot on it.

My first initial thoughts once I took delivery was that the components were as advertised, pretty plain and the amp was a chunk (around 50 pounds). Once I plugged everything in my second thought was that I had purchased a piece of crap, in that the sound was awful. Very thin and quite unbearable (this was not nearly the case while demoing the brand new Denon and Rotel), but I figured I was already into it by $135 for shipping (30 day free trial period), so I prayed burn-in would remedy the problem. Sure enough, after 4-5 hours of running, things started to clear up, and after a day I couldn't believe the difference over the other units. Even without a direct a/b comparison, I could tell this setup was leaps and bounds better. Soundstaging was better (where extreme "toe-in" of the speakers was necessary before with prior units, it isn't with this setup), reproduction was leaps and bounds clearer, and finally playback in 2 channel bybass mode off my cd player was incredible (no more harshness).

In home theatre mode, these components are every bit as incredible. There's no comparison to this unit with respects to the Rotel 1056, in any regard as far as I'm concerned, and I liked the Rotel. The obvious power/reproduction advantage of a separate amp is obviously apparant with the Outlaw setup.

My only complaints with the 950 pertain first to the remote, and second to flexibility as far as settings. The remote is no doubt cheap, even if it's the same one offered with other companies units at 3 times the price. Of all the remotes I've dealt with, this one's the cheapest. Secondly, flexibility with remembering custom settings is lacking. Selecting bypass every time I want to listen to the cd player is annoying, and the fact that you can't customize speaker levels and tone for each source is pretty poor for such a component. I'm sure these things will probably be addressed if Outlaw comes out with a replacement for the 950, but overall they're definitely "livable" problems in light of all you gain.

For reference, my setup consists of:
Rotel RCD 1070 with PS Audio Lab cable