NAD C160
Description: preamp with phono

Submitted by skiskort a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2014

Bottom Line:
Excellent pre regardless of price ($150.), inputs galore, 2 phono with mc and mm, remote controllable, 2 pre outs for you bi-ampers and sonically very clean and quiet, if you have a descent amp you will have a great time sonically! Some nice components inside too! Simply put just a great piece.

Submitted by Chris a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2009

Bottom Line:
I had a bad experience with reliability on the first one of these, but the second has been reliable. I have not been all that impressed with the sound quality. It seems fake , unnatural, or plastic to me. I compared it directly to the pre amp within a Sansui 9090 by using it with the built in power amp of the 9090. The 9090 preamp sounds natural and musical. It sounds live, and real. The nad sounds ok, but pretty cheap fake and unnatural as I said before. To me this screams poor design when one considers the "improvement" in technology since 1975. At $500.00 the Nad c 160 pre amp was the worst investment I have ever made. I have heard many pre amps and receivers, as well as integrateds that I liked a lot more.

Submitted by GORDTEX a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2004

Bottom Line:
this preamp is awesome..just buy it =)

Purchased At:   audiocentre

Submitted by Rich a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
I upgraded to the C-160 from my homemade passive preamp (basically a Radio Shack pot). The NAD, while very very quiet and reasonably transparent, is nonetheless easily audible in the signal path. I also compared it to my 1982 Hafler DH-110 with the Musical Concepts mod, and I have to say I can't hear very much of a difference between their high level inputs (CD), although the NAD's phono section is clearly superior. But my passive pre trumped both these preamps by delivering a more musical sound that emerged from a much blacker background with a heightened sense of aliveness.

Associate equipment is a generic Japanese CD player with digital coax out, an MSB Link DAC III with 96KHz upsampling and upgraded op-amps, a significantly modified Dynaco ST-70 power amp, and average quality Audioquest interconnects.

This is a fine, fine preamp for the money, but I think I now understand why many top-rated preamps cost over $2000.

Purchased At:   eBay (used)

Submitted by miller a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is the first pre-amp I've owned and so far I'm very happy w/it. I got it along w/the 270 amp. It was insanely loud at first, but there's an adjustment knob on the back of the 270 that will turn down it's output level so you can turn up the output level on the c160 pre-amp so that the loudness threshhold is around the 4 or 5-o-clock position on the dial instead of noon or 1. This allows for a much more accurate adjustment of the volume. The unit is very straight forward in it's connections and operation. Overall it's a very practical item in it's appearance and function.

Purchased At:   Sound by Singer