Luminous Audio Technology Axiom

Submitted by ejeff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2010

Bottom Line:
I like the tube sound, and believe overall its the most musical. Thats why I own a Musical Design power amp; its known for having a tube-like characteristics in a SS design. Bearing in mind that cost does matter I searched for a low-priced tube pre-amp (under $500) to match with it. Two left me wanting( hum/distortion, cable matching, a lack of focus in the imaging ect...ect... Luminous Axiom to the rescue. The solution was to let my power amp sing solo. The Luminous just QUIETLY stepped aside and let the Musical Design do its thing. Imaging and soudstaging became more focused. The smoothness of the sound was just about right, if tending towards a SLIGHTLY softer character. Never harsh with the MD power amp. Dynamics, often a ? mark on passive preamps. Not sure. When listening carefully for a loss in dynamic attack I found myself thinking to hard and forgetting all the other things in my system that were so right. If you listen to Motorhead and Mettalica a lot I suppose there is room for hesitation; otherwise forget it if you have a musical, quality, power amp. For about $140 the Luminous Axiom is a ridiculous bargain.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Dan3952 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2009

Bottom Line:
Needed an attenuator to bring down the line level signal before passing it to a Velodyne sub and back to a NAD power amp, the separate level controls and particularly the stepped digital one on the sub had been driving me crazy. Almost nobody buying mass market stuff does this but this sub has a good high pass feature where its Class D amp handles the bass and it passes above 80 Hz out lightening the load on my amp, good because I have 4 ohm speakers. Something interesting in the power amp manual I have, it says not to put the gain controls below the 10 o clock position if at all possible and particularly avoid below 9 o clock because the tracking between channels is poor there. You can't go wrong with this product for the $150 I paid.. I often wonder why so many glowing reviews of the $1000 + preamps I see on here. To somebody who has a power amplifier and isn't so much into the multichannel receivers which all the rage, don't want a digital processor, and is aware that some of the cheaper receivers may very well skimp on two channel only quality in the process, one doesn't need anything more than this product. A preamp can only colour the sound if someone has a power amp only and doesn't have any use for tone controls or balance controls, it's just a few more resistors or caps the signal has to pass through. I doubt the volume control circuit in most preamps is better than the Luminous Axiom even the ones that are over $1000, and the attentuation is probably done better in the Axiom than in the dual gain controls in my NAD 2600 which I may now change out as well. The Axiom uses a Noble pot which is used in shunt, ie. the signal doesn't pass directly through that pot. It's possible that the Alps Blue Velvet or DACT stepped attenuator are still better but I couldn't be bothered to do all the construction of the necessary box. I got the Holco resistor model, the Caddock vs. Holco resistors choice is a toss up to me, can't really be sure if the Caddocks are worth the extra $25 unless a double blind listening test is done which isn't possible, but still, a good deal. Before shipping Luminous will adjust the circuitry to do proper input impedance or output level matching with your other gear which is a very often neglected part of high end audio. There is no doubt in my mind that my rig sounds better than my dad's $1200 Denon receiver where my amp is at least 15 years old, but it could be his Energy speakers.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Zkidd a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2006

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased a Luminous Audio Axiom to install between my CDP and integrated amp. My integrated amp has a stepped attenuator, and hence, I often "miss" the correct position for the volume for a particular piece of music. For those of you experienced with stepped attenuators / volume controls, you know what I mean.

The Axiom solved all that, and very well I might add. This little passive preamp is a bargain, even if it cost 3X as much. I had mine built with the Caddock resistor,a $25 upgrade and though I have not heard the Axiom with the basic Holco, the $25 is really nothing to pay.Since I have used the Axiom, I have noticed absolutley no loss of dynamics, nor loss of bass, or a shrinking of the sound, nothing like that at all! I have used other passives in the past, and none have been anywhere as good as the Axiom, unless I was willing to wade into the $3K -$4K pond to get one.

I will not reiterate what others have already stated. Just take it that the Axiom is a fine piece, a true treasure at the asking price, and one of the best values one will ever find in the hign end.

Purchased At:   Luminous Audio

Submitted by nurxhunter a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2005

Bottom Line:
Haveto agree with other reviewers here. Clean, transparent. Alloes what's downstream to come through. Luminous is a great site to deal with. For the price new, you cannot go wrong with this. I have the upgraded unit.

Purchased At:   Agon

Submitted by dashenhurst a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
Fitted it into a cd player only system (ah tjoeb) then feeding a single monarchy audio power amp and triangle speakers and the total sound is absolutely fantastic. It allows the other components to do what they do and takes nothing away from any of them. Comes highly recommended as does the service from luminous audio.

Purchased At:   web (ebay)