Emotive Audio Erato
Description: type 27 triode vacuum tube input amplifier, direct coupled to output cathode follower

Submitted by Bunt a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
Correction to the previous review: there are 5 inputs. Hunt must have been spacing out when he wrote that review. Other than that, I agree with everything Hunt said.

Submitted by Hunt a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
I replaced my mid-fi integrated NAD C340 with the Erato and a Golden Tube SE-40 Special Edition. The combination of the Erato, SE-40 and Magnepan 1.6 speakers is magic. Where the C340 gave decent sound with some harshness in the highs, the tube gear produces a warm, inviting sound with silky highs and no listening fatigue. Even with my mid-fi NAD CD player (514), I don't see how it can get much better than this (but I intend to find out). With a better front end (SACD or DVD-Audio or combination player when they become available), and a subwoofer (probably REL), I think I'll be nearing the end of my audiophilia nervosa. Well, maybe another SE-40.

While I was auditioning the Erato/SE-40 combination in the store on Merlin speakers (I mistakenly said Spendor in my SE-40 review), I compared it to a Jolida 302B integrated amp. The Jolida just didn't have the presence and vibrancy and subtley of the Erato/SE-40 combination in that setup. I wouldn't discount Jolida though - their stuff is very highly regarded - it may have been that particular system and they way it was hooked up.

I tried using the Erato as a preamp into the NAD C340 amp section, and the NAD preamp section into the SE-40, but both combinations with the NAD sounded harsh compared to the Erato/SE-40 combination.

The Erato is very simple - two inputs, one output that is regulated by the volume control, another line-level fixed output suitable for feeding a tape recorder or headphone amp. There are three controls on the base: an on-off toggle switch, an upright cylinder for switching between the two inputs, and an identical upright cylinder for volume control. There are no labels to indicate what the controls do or markings to indicate volume level, etc. This lends the unit an elegant look - kind of retro with the wood base and exposed tubes, kind of sci-fi with the unlabeled cylinder controls. Not sci-fi-tacky, but in the most elegant, minimalist sense. The manufacturer's minimalism even extends to including absolutely no paperwork in the box, not even a thank-you note. Gosh, Fred, it would be nice to at least have a little card in there saying thanks, bud, give me a call if you have any problems!