Conrad-Johnson ACT2
Description: <ul> <li>Maximum output: 10 vrms</li> <li>Output impedance: under 500 ohms</li> <li>Sonic performance and durability</li> <li>Line-stage preamplifier technology</li> </ul>

Submitted by Raj J a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2010

Bottom Line:
Greetings from Melbourne folks! good to see you all...
this must still be a dream... cannot believe it but I am looking at an ACT2 here in my system partnered with a c-j MV60se driving a pair of Quad ESL 2905's (source a simple tube cd player from Cayin-next possible upgrade) the sound is amazing. I will post a review sometime in following months since I just picked up this stunning preamp. it is carefully used about 4 years old, previous owner want to upgrade to a GAT preamp; so I grabbed his ACT2 and what a smooth move that was!
I do not have enough words to describe its sound or the sound I was hoping for. all I can say is that I didn't know preamps could sound this good, I mean seriously! I knew with a source, power amp and top notch cable along with top notch speakers and a decent high quality preamp will give you endless hours of musical satisfaction... but this ACT2 is in a way different league my friends, and yes I know the actual price of one of these was closer to 20 grand or something? but who cares I paid only half that!
I will post a review later on based build quality/functionality/value/sound -4 areas that I strongly believe are critical to highend audio.
all I can say for now is that I have listened to many c-j preamps and have owned many from PV8, PV10, PV12, PV14L, Premier 17LS, PFR, Classic SE, CT5 for a very short while, and now the ACT2 - none of these come even close to the ACT2 other than perhaps the CT5 is also good but not in equal. the ACT2 surpasses everything is relation to those 4 critical areas mentioned. the only thing I cannot figure out is if the ACT2 sounds so dam fantastic then how does the GAT sound? cannot even imagine...
well then for now I am calling off to go and listen to my newest arrival the c-j ACT2, and make it feel welcome to my home, because this one I am sure will be staying here for generations to come!
cheers, Raj J