Audio Alchemy DLC

Submitted by dpod4 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit brand new from Audio Advisor back in 1996. Other components have come and gone. I have upgraded speakers Stereophile "A" level, upgraded cables, amplification, etc., even added the Integra DTC 9.8, as the HT processor in my system. The DLC has continued to serve as my 2 channel pre-amp for high end listening, with addition of upgraded power supply. I appreciate it today even more than when I bought it. The fact that it has two identical pre-amp outputs makes it convenient to work into speaker set and HT system where I can integrate sub and other sources seamlessly. Fact I can have one input volume at a cost db for pass through to Integra for front mains is wonderful. I've brought home other pre-amps over the years to compare, and I still haven't found anything in the $1-2k range I like better for sound and convenience. I think this may be one of the best purchases I've ever made for value/performance/longevity. Hats off many years later to Audio Alchemy (Dusty and crew) for really creating a perfectly useful and high performing piece of gear.

Submitted by Baldy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2005

Bottom Line:
I've finally got around to commenting on this fine pre-amp. The A/A DLC came available on Ebay one day. I had heard quite a bit about it but decided to do a little research myself. I ended my research on the Stereophile site. From all accounts the unit was highly recommended so I bid and won the item. Here we are some 3-4 yrs. later and I'm still amazed at the units ability to just get out of the way of the sound. I incorporate Magnaplanar MG-llc's for speakers and have them presently bi-amped. The DLC offers 2 main outs which dramatically simplifies the bi-amp procedure. I can remember setting the unit up and allowing it to warm-up for about 45 minutes. My wife, who is one of the most realistic "audiophiles" I know, was the first to comment, "the soundstage depth is amazing". I agreed and also noticed what I thought was less bass, however, when the unit was presented with known "bassy" music, the quality of the bass was outstanding in it's ability to be multi-note, clearly delineated, incredibly fast and very powerful. After a couple of evening of listening I realized the, what I thought, lack of bass was in fact a lack of boominess or sluggishness brought about by slow and sloppy bass reproduction. I compared this unit to my Reference Line Preeminence One passive and found the A/A DLC to be holding it's own rather nicely. The DLC simply blew away my (modified) Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 hands down, even with the SFL-1 on the "direct" output. The A/A has the unique ability to disapear into a large, deep soundstage that reveals the venues the music was recorded in most accurately. The tonal quality was most impressive and the musicality was so enjoyable, it allowed for listening sessions late into the night with seemingly no listening fatigue what so ever. I most certainly could go on but I belive what is most important here is the price/performance ratio. Seeing I paid $250.00 US ($315.00 CAN), I can't even begin to imagine what is out there that can compete. Knowing full well the unit is entirely controlled by it's remote only, it is imperitive that you either attain a learning remote or absoulutel positively not drop or damage the original. Very highly recommended !!!

Purchased At:   Private

Submitted by ezside a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is a terrific piece, outperforming preamps 5 or even 10 times its price. Transparent, neutral, good response across the audio spectrum. I've heard some folks say that the DLC is light on bass, but I haven't seen this: even on stuff like the Pure Audiophile pressing of Ray Brown's "Soular Energy" (which actually has a "dynamic bass may cause mistracking" warning on the outermost sleeve!) or "Intro" on Tupac Shakur's "Better Dayz" (I actually thought we were having an earthquake the first time I listened to this ;-), the bass response is excellent, clean and rhythmic. Other reviewers have mentioned the importance of a good power supply; I can't really comment on this, since mine came without a wall-wart (NIB, though -- wall-wart was scavenged to power some of the seller's other AA gear). I've only listened to mine powered by an MSB P1000 and it's great.

Purchased At:   AudioWeb.com

Submitted by Rod a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
One really nice pre-amp/line stage,the Audio Alchemy DLC has provided all of the strengths read in the other reviews posted previous to this one.
So I will just touch some bases in My fashion.Use this unit with an upgraded power supply(AA/PS2/3)and for a price that would sober up the kilo-buck audio-
philiacs and make them tremble,you can show up at their bashes,and enjoy music magic in the making.
Unit is very transparent,decently dynamic
covers the full range,and images well in a nice sherical stage with front to back depth,wide and individual instrument lines intact.
As another review stated get yourself a learning remote train it up,then remove the batteries the store the DLC original away in safety.
I use mine in bi-amp with dual FPC,cont-
inual cast pure copper RCA's,run thruogh a pair of Adcom GFA5500™.Sourced by an NAD502™ cd player,through to a pair of
Sony SSM7™ 3 ways,I get magic after the DLC™ identified some of their weaknesses
which I addressed.
I have run it the processor loop of a
Adcom GFP565™ as well,but this caused some additional veiling.
Again I can't stress that this was one of the audio jewels which came and went way to quickly.
FIND ONE BUY IT KEEP IT ALWAYS IT WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH UTMOST VALUE.
Most of what was said in previous pieces
I concur with high value rating w/slighly less overall.

Purchased At:   HCM Audio

Submitted by Frank Phillips a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have a lot of preamps, and have enough hifi gear to have a different system in every room of the house. I am very picky about preamps, because they amplify the low-level so many times over they can make or break your sound if they have any coloration at all. Much more critical than power amps, IMHO. I use the DLC in my bedroom system, which is to me my most critical listening environment. I typically don't play really loud in there, but I want to hear everything... every nuance of every instrument with great detail and depth with precise imaging. The DLC definitely does that. I sometimes run with no preamp, just CD straight to amp. The DLC is as close to that as I've ever heard (or, more accurately, not heard). Just switching and really clean, quiet gain. I currently use the DLC with a Marchand amp (another true bargain) and old Polk Monitor 10's, but the configuration changes reasonably often. Completely opposite end of the spectrum from my old tube preamps, which I like, but they definitely change the sound. I'm glad I read Audiophile's review of this. A truly amazing bargain.

Purchased At:   online somewhere - closeout