PS Audio Ultimate Outlet
Description: Features: <LI> Standard and High Current versions <LI> Standard version for all video, small to medium power amps and source equipment. <LI> High Current version for all large power amps or use as a reference for everything. <LI> Lowers impedance by a factor of three <LI> Reduces noise by up to 40 dB! <LI> Improves both audio and video performance. <LI> Stereophile's Accessory of the year! <P> Benefits: <LI> Improves depth <LI> Enhaces soundstage <LI> Protects from surges and spikes <LI> Cleans the top end of any audio equipment <LI> Video is dramatically improved <LI> Provides isolation <LI> Lowers the system's noise floor

Submitted by geojap a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2007

Bottom Line:
I was looking forward to getting into the power conditioning foray after reading so much about many others' positive experiences.

My experience was not so positive, however. This may be entirely due to my system, but I do not know for sure. I plugged the 15 amp, hi-current UO into my system and no matter how I configured it (only on the CD source, on the CD + amp, only on the amp) it reduced the dynamics in my system. The effect was to reduce the dynamics and remove some of the inner detail, while adding significant emphasis to the bass frequencies. Tone was improved, but that was the only improvement.

My system is one that strives for resolution and imaging. I have a Creek CD-50Mk II, Classe CA-150, Mod Squad Deluxe Line Drive passive preamp, Nordost Red Dawn ICs and Apogee Centaur Major ribbon speakers. The detail and imaging is phenomenal, with respectable warmth. The dynamics are also very quick to come to life in my system.

Unfortunately, the UO removed all these qualities and made my speakers sound like any old pair of speakers that are nothing special. The UO did remove all the high frequencies (any hiss from the source) but it also removed much of the low level detail as well. The extended bass seemed just a wee bit bloated, but the slight difference in tone was quite nice. But I just could not live with the loss of imaging and detail in the Apogees. That is why I bought the speakers, to get such a phenomenal sound stage.

So I don't exactly regard the the UO very highly. To me, it is just another product that colors the sound in some fashion (changing the tonal characteristics without producing a purer sound than before the unit was installed). I strive for clean, high quality sound reproducers that deliver music that could be characterized as having great clarity and accuracy. Coloration products are not my cup of tea. I suppose in some systems this would conceivably improve sound, but I disagree with the premise of the product in general.

I have wanted to see if the theory of clean power in hi-fi systems would play out as the power conditioning camp promulgates, but to this point it has not for me. I am intrigued by the PS Audio Premier Power Plant, but I hope when I finally try it out that it does not rob me of my sound stage again.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by geojap a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2007

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by descartes a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2006

Bottom Line:
I'm running Snell EIII, B+K Pro 5 preamp, Rotel 990BX power amp, $1500 worth of Tara Cables, Rotel RCD 971 CD player. I live in an apartment complex.

I just received an Ultimate Outlet, new, for a really good price on EBay. I know my system really well--I've had it for 15 years. Never used a power conditioner before. I plugged the amp into one outlet on the UO and the pre into the other amp. An amazing difference! I expected the noise floor to drop, and that's about it. But it's as significant as going from cheap cables and interconnects to quality ones. The bass is much cleaner, the voices image more tightly, the soundstage is broader, the highs crisper. What an amazing difference. Who knew that my power was making such a difference in the way my system sounds.

Submitted by audiophi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2005

Bottom Line:
This thing does have an audible effect, although not with all components. My Wadia CD player shows a lower noise floor, a bit more detail, a deeper soundstage, more realistic vocals, and just a notch more musical involvement. On the other hand, my Musical Fidelity A5 integrated amplifier shows no audible effect.

The surprise was my REL Strata III subwoofer, which shows a tighter bass. I had never read of a line conditioner producing this effect in the bass, but it's a welcome improvement.

BTW, I ordered both the $299 and $399 versions of the product (intending to return one of them), and I really could hear a difference, with the more expensive brother simply having more of an effect.

Purchased At:   PS Audio

Submitted by Fronkle a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2005

Bottom Line:
I've been using this product primarily with my Quad ESL63s that require a mains connection. Personally,I find the improvements significant, with greater transparency to the sound as well as a wider soundstage. If you wish to experiment with power conditioners at a relatively reasonable price, this is a pretty good place to start.

Purchased At:   Ultimate Sonics (UK)