Denon DRM-555 Cassette Players

3.33/5 (3 Reviews) MSRP : $249.99

2 head

Submitted by rickko a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2004

Bottom Line:
After 26 years of excellent service my Sanyo deck stopped outputting signals, sigh. Time to move on... Instead of reparing it I decided to replace it with the DENON DRM-555.

I find it to be highly satisfactory except for the noisy (mechanical) transport when it auto reverses, stops, starts etc.

The price was right because it was a "demo" model. Unfortunately the MPX filter switch does not work as far as I can tell. It does not illuminate the MPX indicator on the display. If 'The Good Guys' can't fix it under their full service contract they must replace it with a new one. I'm OK with that.

All features (other than noted above) seem to work well. I run it into a Nikko EQ-II equalizer so I can easily compensate for any sound deficiencies that may be inherent to the recorded signal output.

I've played commercial tapes as well as tapes I recorded on the Sanyo twenty-six years ago. They all sound as good as when they were recorded.

There is good separation of stereo.

I found the recorded quality of various input signals from the turntable, FM Stereo Tuner and CD connected to my system to be excellent.

I hope this tape deck will perform as well and as long as did the Sanyo.

Purchased At:   The Good Guys, La Jo

Submitted by evade a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
Good but not great sound as I used to get from my Aurex (Toshiba). Not quite the quality of build and construction I would expect from the Denon name.

Purchased At:   Sound Advice Ottawa

Submitted by a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
This cassette player/recorder sounds quite well, it is functionnal, and has minimal functions. Looking at the DENON label, I expected more of this product.

FGH 26: