Tivoli Audio PAL Boomboxes

4.75/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $129.00

2.5" magnetically shielded driver, rubberized cabinet, Nickel Metal Hydride battery pack, geared-down 5:1 ratio analog tuning dial, auxiliary input, stereo headphone output, AC adaptor.

Submitted by philjul a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2008

Bottom Line:
This is an aboslutely fantastic little radio... and I weigh my words. The sounds is the most natural bar none. This has such an appealing sound that is easy on the ears and I think will appeal to most people. Even my non-audiophile friends recognise how enjoyable it is to listen to. Vocals are simply marvellous. In fact I would argue this is the best money I have ever spent on a piece of electronic gadget as I listen to this every morning and it puts a smile on my face. I can say this with confidence as I have spent thousands of pounds on other audio equipment.

Whilst I have recently purchased a Meridian F80, which is also a very good machine, for radio purposes I think Tivoli supersedes it despite being much cheaper. In terms of radio reproduction it approaches perfection.

Bravo to Tivoli!

Purchased At:   Loud & Clear

Submitted by jont-fu a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2008

Bottom Line:
I agree mostly with the previous reviews; the tuner is great, the sound is very good for such a small unit and it is very portable. My only problem with the Tivoli Audio PAL is that the unit is very sensitive to radio interference from cell phones. This problem was emphasized when I got an iPhone and connected it to the PAL. All the radio traffic created by the phone gets amplified LOUD, even if the volume dial is at low setting. This is ridiculous, when you think about the price of both the PAL and the iPhone, and how well they fit together otherwise: both are simple products that do their job very well.

iPod + PAL is an awesome combination but beware, iPhone + PAL will get you frustrated or embarrased because the RF interference protection in the PAL is not sufficient.

I even mailed Tivoli Audio about the issue, but they replied that it is by the design, not a manufacturing defect.

Submitted by jacdewitt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2006

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a portable radio that would pull in weak stations . I had been using older portables bought at flea markets because they seemed to have better tuners than boom boxes, but they didn't hold up and ate batteries like popcorn. Then I read about the PAL from Tivoli. I found that Tweeter was offering a discount on discontinued colors and took a chance.

The user reviews I read on-line made a big deal about the sound from this tiny box. I have to admit I was skeptical. No more. The sound is exquisitely clear if not that loud--there are limits--and I am especially pleased with the tuner. It gets both of my test stations-- a little community fm station that is very hard to pull and an am station for Yankee games fairly far away. The am is not particularly clear, but the radio holds the station very well.

The fact that it is mono is no problem--what kind of stereo would you get from a 3.5 inch width anyway?

Purchased At:   tweeter

Submitted by MaxxC a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2004

Bottom Line:
I own both a PAL and a Model 1. I ended up using the PAL far more often then the Model 1.

Probably the neatest features of the PAL: 1) It uses a rechargable battery. Plug it in overnight and you have about 6-8 hours of use with total portability. You can also just leave it plugged into the charger and use the wall AC.

2) Its water resistant. You can actually take it into the shower with you without fear. The outside is coated with a type of rubber as well as the driver. I've accidentially left it outside to go thru a thunderstorm on several occasions.

3) Can be used as a quality stereo tuner. The Model 1 is only a mono tuner. This is a great feature for someone who wants a very good tuner on the cheap. A $10 cable from Radio Shack; connect it to your amp and you are in business.

4) Has a head phone jack for individual listening.

Now onto the review. Tuner quality is very good. It sucks in stations like a Hoover. The tuner technology (also in the Model 1) is based on cell phone technology. Somehow it manages to lock in on distant stations without static and hiss like conventional tuners. Stations 40 miles away sound just like the ones 2 miles down the road.

The sound is very good. Has a warm full almost analog sound. Very fatigue free. Voices are very natural. It dosen't play very loud. But its very adequate for single room or nearfield listning. You'll probably find the volume control at the 1:00-2:00 position many times, but it dosen't clip. Had mine going on 2 years with no ill effects.

Portable Audio Lab (PAL). The portable part makes it so usefull. You'll be suprised how much you use it. At the beach, picnic, swimming pool, barbacue, working in the back yard, garage and kitchen, shower. With its small size and weather resistants. You'll probably find yourself hauling carrying it from room to room on many occasions.

Purchased At:   Ovation