Townshend Audio Seismic Sink
Description: (See reviews)

Submitted by Charles a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
Call me a skeptic. I have had this thing for 4 years and
I can't really say it makes any difference. I would recc.
that you put down the money on another item, like maybe
upgrade your transport or DAC.

Submitted by Chris a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 2, 1999

Bottom Line:
I started my system with an Aragon 4004 MKII and a Wadia 6. Sound was excellent and bass power was like thunders on my Tannoy. Colorations on this kind of speakers made me change to Magnepan. As Magnepan speakers are globally equal except for bass frequencies, i decided not to spend too much money, buying MMG only. Extremely detailed, colorless, and bass was excellent for Accoustic music. The problem: the sound was so detailed with the new speakers that a kind of blur was evident. I started my crusade against "electronic" aspect of the sound. First step (a very big one) has been cables. I changed all cables, including power cables, for Magnan Cables (Power Signature, Signature and Type vi). The difference was tremendous toward the "natural music" direction, like if i changed my entire system (I had Monster Cable M1/M1000), but without changing the character of the sound; just much more "natural" by removing a large amount of electronic :-). I wanted to go further and bought a Townshend Amp Stand 3-3. In fact, i did not know exactly what the Amp Stand could add exactly, but the concept was so positive and intelligent, music could only sound better... May be i was mentally prepared...:-)Delay for delivery has been quite long (almost two months). Packaging is superb, and the Amp Stand looks beautiful. Extremely well made. But with the amplifier and the Wadia 6 on the shelves... well, i do not know what to say: it will be very difficult to explain what changed, just i have no more question about the sound: it is so natural, it is better on this point than a friend's system based on a Pass Aleph 1.2 standing on the floor; and i "only" have an Aragon 4004 MKII :-). Sound is quiet and flows naturally out of my system. It is absolutely "clean", but not as if the definition had been increased, or if the character of this sound changed. Just that i can hear more things from my records, and that it does not sound like "reproduced sound" but like the music itself. All the usual discussion about bass, treeble, dynamic, definition, soundstage, sweetspot and so on seems to me from another zone. My system is now far away from these questions: it just reproduces music "right"(and I am now amazed by the amount of information a Wadia can extract from a CD), wherever i stand in the room. Of course, the speakers will reproduce a better image if i am at the right place; what i mean is the sound is natural and beautiful, wherever i stand.
I am now positively certain the sound can be better improved making your existing components work under the best conditions than upgrading them; upgrading should only be the last step, when you have plenty of money to spend.
I know mine could even be improved: power filters, floating earth, damping, upgrading to Wadia 6i and to Pass Aleph amplifiers.... i may do this, later. I am just too satisfied now to change anything....

Submitted by Tom a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 12, 1999

Bottom Line:
I also have to agree with Jack. A very worthwhile upgrade if you have the quality of kit to match. The more transparent your system the greater the improvements will be. I found that the bass dropped an octave, the soundstage was thrown deeper and wider, and the sound took on a more appealing feel. The hardness had gone, replaced by a sweeter, more inviting sound and now i can listen for longer periods without it becoming fatiquing.If your system suffers from prominent brightness or 'edgy' sound stick one of these under your cd player and see what happens. If you can afford it get one under the amp aswell. A worthwhile upgrade in any modest system.

Submitted by Bill Gaver a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 11, 1999

Bottom Line:
Townshend Audio Seismic Sink (HD):
On June 9, 1998 I posted a product review statement regarding
my frustrations with the servicing of a Seismic Sink.

Several months ago, I noted in an audio journal that Townshend
Audio now had an USA agent. Upon contact, I was requested to
forward unit for servicing. The Townshend Audio agent can be
contacted as follows:

Dan Meinwald, Sound Advice, 1624 Sunset Avenue, Santa Monica,
CA 90405. Tel/Fax: (310)396-1919

Submitted by Bill Gaver a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 9, 1998

Bottom Line:
Townshend Audio product owners beware. Townshend Audio no longer maintainswarranty and/or service capability in the USA.

As an owner of both a Townshend Audio standard model Seismic Sink and Model
1HD, I have attempted to get the dual air bladder system serviced at the Houston
Townshend Audio, Inc. facility since March 13, 1998.

It is reported that Townshend Audio failed to pay its lease costs for a four
month period, thus resulting in the building owner taking over the site with
both product and repair parts.

Sue Townshend claims there is a USA agent. I am awaiting word from Sue Townshend as to name and address of agent and the availability of warranty and/or repair service.

My dealings to date with both Townshend Audio in both Houston and England have
been totally unprofessional and unbusinesslike.

I urge caution if considering any Townshend Audio products. Buyer beware.

Bill Gaver