Nordost Pulsar Points
Description: vibration control device

Submitted by sixty12 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2006

Bottom Line:
Initially tried two sets, one under my CD player and one under my amp. At first I didn't think they did anything, but after a listen to a few familiar songs I took them out of my system and listened again. Where was that sparkle? they honestly sounded duller. Not a huge difference, but the subtle details seemed to blend into the background, where as with the points in place the music was crisper and cleaner. With a set under just under my CD player it sounded good, but under my amp as well, it was great.

Try to think of pulsar points like a good coat of wax on your nice clean car, it just makes it shine that much more.

Purchased At:   listening post

Submitted by jasonk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
After listening to a demo by Nordost at the Heathrow HiFi show, I went straight to their stand and bought a pair of Nordost Pulsar Points (aluminium). The demo showed how it improved the soundstage and dynamics of the music - even on a good Primare system. I was looking to improve the depth of soundstage of my system (Arcam Alpha 9 CD, NAD c370 amp, B&W 602 s2 speakers). I use RDC 2 cones under the CD player. I was amazed at the extent to which it did improve the soundstage - by placing the Points under my amplifier (which rests on a Clearlight audio base). Wow! My system always had a good wide soundstage, but its depth could improve. It did. The music became more realistic - with the improvements in the depth of the soundstage. It is as if I can 'hear into the music' more clearly. The dynamics improved likewise. I was also surprised at how the bass became more realsitic and tuneful - which I enjoy.

Just how much a difference it made was evident in that I went through most of my CD collection that night!I am fully convinced of the benefits of these little aluminium Points, and would recommend them to anyone looking to improve their soundstage and dynamics.

Purchased At:   HiFi Show Heathrow

Submitted by sunnyboy1956 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
The Pulsar points certainly had a dramatic impact on the sound but not one that I fancy.Variously tried under the Arcam FMJ cd player,power amp and integrated amp, the most discernible difference was with the cd player.This is at odds with what Ray says in an extensive review below that the heavier the component the greater impact.Female vocals(Diana Krall,Patrica Barber)acquire an almost ethereal quality.My main gripe is about male vocals :Greg Brown sounds like Andy Williams and Leonard Cohen like Perry Como.The angst in the voice is totally gone and in its place you have buttery,syrupy over smooth vocals which I strongly dislike.
Quite possibly the pulsars work better on a different surface.My self designed audio rack is made of 1/4" toughened glass with solid wood supports.
Fortunately,I can return the pulsars to a friend and revert to my squash balls.Cut in half and used as an isolation device they sound super.A bit tricky to position they cost a fraction of the pulsars and present a more realistic soundstage.
I have not tried them under my B&W CDM 9NT speakers for fear of toppling them over.

Purchased At:   Nordost dealer in Si

Submitted by gammon186 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
bought to help tighten the mid-range and what a good job the did at it too! personally would recommend them to everyone however do try them before you buy and not just because they change the sound no matter how good they make your system look!

Purchased At:   radfords bath

Submitted by Ray a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bargained with my local reseller and bought Nordost's Pulsar Points on the condition that I could return them if they didn't do enough for my system. I'm now glad to say that I'll be keeping the Pulsar Points, and I'll most likely be purchasing more in the future. One of the great things about this product is that you can use it in many applications (underneath speakers,components; you can even replace the spikes underneath your audio rack).

When you order a set of Pulsar Points, you'll find that they come in a set of four, each "Point" is comprised of two pieces: the CONE, which points up, and the recessed DISH, recessed side facing downward. The dish balances on the cone, with the weight of your component keeping it in place. Pulsar Points come in either aluminum ($100) or titanium ($500), metals known for their vibration resistance. Aluminum is much cheaper and therefore a better buy.

I spoke with one of Nordost's tech guys on the phone to learn more about how to use the Pulsar Points. He suggested that they might work best under my Pre-amp and that I should place them as near to the corners of the component as possible. Although I disagree with the Pre-amp statement, I do agree that they should be placed near the corners.

In my experience with the Pulsar Points, I have found that the heavier the component is, the better they work. In that sense, their improvement is in the realm of vibration damping, not necessarily equipment isolation/de-coupling. I can't say if they would replace something like a Bright Star Air Mass, but they can act as a substitute for a Big Rock. Oddly enough, the Pulsar Points had the least effect on my Pre-amp (its my lighest component, weighing only 16 lbs.). Next biggest effect was the DVD player (26 lbs.), then my Amp (42 lbs.), with the largest improvement on my line conditioner (54 lbs.).

I think the results point to more than just a coincidence: the fact that as the weight of a component increases, the more potential vibration there is for the Pulsar Point to minimize. The large transformers and capacitors in my Amp and line conditioner definitely give me much better sound with the Pulsar Points underneath, than without. The difference is this: there is a higher resolution to the sound. It feels less smeared, more focused, and more dynamic.

Placing the Points near the corners also seems to help in that doing so means supporting your component at its most rigid areas (i.e. the corners, where the sides of the chassis are most often screwed together) and distributing vibrations up and down the chassis (as opposed to underneath it, where vibration finds its way into the circuitry of the component).

Just an aside, but I'd love to hear if anyone has tried placing a set of 4 Titanium Pulsar Points underneath their audio rack. I'm sure the improvement would be awesome!

There was someone else that mentioned you can place 3 of these under a component. While this is a true statement, I did notice improved sound with 4 Pulsar Points underneath my component as opposed to just 3. I suspect, however, that 3 Points under 4 components would work better than 4 Points under 3 components, thereby adding to the value you get, but I haven't experimented with this yet.

I also noticed an improvement when I placed Pulsar Points underneath my speakers. However, I'm not sure if I should buy any for that purpose, given that I have a cat at home who loves to jump on top of my speakers. I'm afraid that he would topple them given that the Pulsar Points don't lock into place (they are merely held together by gravity).

I think that this product deserves better than a "3". I honestly don't think that it colors or distorts the sound one bit (as Tsang in the previous review implied). Sound with the Pulsar Points is not leaned one bit. I'll rate this a 5 in value because I got a 20% discount (and because they work as much as they do) and a 4 overall (because I'm a little on the stingy side).

My advice: get a good deal from your local Nordost reseller and place sets of 4 underneath your equipment, starting with your heaviest components

Purchased At:   Hanover Audio