Chang Lightspeed CLS 3200
Description: The CLS 3200 inlcudes 4 (fully filtered) analog outlets, 2 digital outlets, and 15 amps current pass-through capability.

Submitted by DMolisher a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
I wasn't expecting a huge improvement, so that's partly why I rate this fine product "Far better than imagined." And this is about as little as can be spent on any quality power conditioner, esp. one with separation of digital and analog components, so a 5 for value as well --though I was surprised to learn how expensive these things can get, in general

Anyway, everything, both video and audio, seemed to improve when powered by the Chang. I'm now going to ugrade to the 9600 MK II, myself, go gain more digital outlets, higher current capacity (for amps), and even higher-quality filtering, despite the fact that the unit costs close to triple the price. (Perhaps I'll keep my Baby Chang for use with my microphone & keyboard...) I never thought I'd spend this sort of money on a glorified power strip ;) But try it, yourself, and see if you don't like it, too.

Purchased At:   The Sound Concept

Submitted by ervin a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
recently bought this for my a/v system and i must say it really works. while it may not be cheap but the sound is significantly quieter, more detailed and smoother than before. tried a cheaper one from castle and found that the sounded got less dynamic and found the lightspeed much better value for money than other expensive products. probably because there's no transformers or coils inside the lightspeed.

Purchased At:   singapore

Submitted by AffordableAudio a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
First let me state, this is a review of the Chang Lightspeed 6400, not the 3200. I have used the Chang 6400 for about three months now, and have compared it with the following products- A.P.I. Power Wedge 114, A.P.I. Power Wedge 112 MkII, Panamax 1000, and various other surge protectors. The first thing I have to admit, is that the Chang did away with a problem I was having. Every time I would turn on a light switch, you could hear the click on my system! The A.P.I. Power Wedge's did nothing to help this, but as soon as I hooked up the Chang, the problem was gone! The Chang also provides a much "blacker" background from which the music now flows. It's as if the Chang has lowered the noisefloor quite a bit (and it has!!). The Chang also has helped in increasing the Dynamic Range of my system, again by lowering the noisefloor by a good bit. My system isn't the most expensive out there, but it sonically is very good (I dare anyone to blindfold themselves and tell me how much my system costs, they will always guess high!!). As good as any system is though, I believe that the Chang Lightspeeds will improve it! This is coming from a man who didn't believe in power conditioners, just a few months ago (My API's were a joke!). My system includes the following components- Snell EII Speakers, H/K750 Int. Amp., Nakamichi CDPlayer4, H/K TD292 Cassette Deck, Sansui TU-S7 Tuner, AudioQuest Turquoise X2 Interconnects, AudioQuest Slate Bi-Wired Speaker Cables.

Purchased At:   AudioAsylum.com

Submitted by Mike Parenteau a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
Big Difference in dynamics, detail, and soundstaging

Submitted by audioNeil a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have had the Chang 6400 for a few weeks now, and I have to rethink the whole thing.

Yes, the difference is huge -- but not in a good way. I have decided that the "blackness" was because all the low level dynamics were gone from the music. I found myself not enjoying the music any more. I finally returned it. If you have a "harsh" sounding system, upgrade your speaker cables or digital processor or speakers -- not your power system.

I have talked to others with the same experience -- initially liking what this product did for their sound, only to realize after a while that they were missing a big part of their sound. Something just isn't right. This is clearly a sound modifier -- not just a "noise" filter. Perhaps some components react favorably, but I would suggest that amps and receivers do not, despite the advertising.

I don't want to trash this -- but I will downgrade the "average" of this review and the last.