Carver Audio 705x thx Premier

Submitted by Steve a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 5, 1998

Bottom Line:
I picked up the 705x as a close out at Circuit City for $700. I was expecting a lot more from everything I had read about the unit. It was very laid back, which was a nice presentation, but I was mostly dissappointed in the bass as it was also very laid back, somewhat "soft". Too soft. I also felt that it worked much better in a home theater setup, utilizing it's power steering technology than it did on music. It ran out of power too easily on music. I had been using a TFM45 that was much tighter and more powerful in the bass. Overall, I felt it was a good amp with a very smooth signature to it, but if you prefer strong bass, tight and articulate, I do not feel this is the amp to do so. I have since returned it and stuck with my TFM45 and will look to pick up a TFM15 or the likes to run the rest of the system.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Glenn Robinson a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 28, 1998

Bottom Line:
This amp is the ablolute best value 5 channel amp on the market. Excellent bass control. Excellent
detail. Beautiful looks. And practical - distortion
alert lights on the front. Normally black - they
turn red if you crank the thing to ear bleed volumes.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by brian a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 6, 1997

Bottom Line:
I received my carver amp in late july of this year and I still rush home to hear this thing rock. Originally I was interested in HK's PA5800 but after hearing Carver's av505 I was so impressed I knew the 705 with it's 125 watts were the only way to go for the sound quality and for great dynamics and headroom this amp delivers. It didn't hurt that I got it at accomadation either, but those are the perks for working in retail. I have listened to other similarly priced amps such as B&K, Harmon Kardon and I can't disparage any of these fine amps but for the money I have yet to audition an amp with this much clean power and great headroom!!! definitely a must hear!