Cambridge Soundworks Model 88 Table Radio
Description: Table Radio

Submitted by It's all about the sound a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2013

Bottom Line:
The model 88 proved itself to be much better than expected , for several reasons .it is built like a brick house , as my dad would have said . Second , not expecting much after some time with similar products , I found the sound to be clean tight and full of bass for a tiny tabletop ! So much so that the sound easily fills the living area . ( two story w/vaulted ceilings and open walls . Our other Model 88 is in the master bdrm. And provides the same effect . Musical and effortless sound filling the room ! If we need a larger sound with a digital medium the home stereo or theater will do ,however , whenever just am or fm are desired , the Cambridge Soundworks Model 88 is easily relocated to any room or out to one of the patios always available to reproduce a nearly full freq. , quite musical sound . Always pleasant to the ears...highly recommended over competitive products !!! P.S. not positive on model yr.

Submitted by goraman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2009

Bottom Line:
First off the picture on this review is the CSW 730 and not the modle 88 or modle 88CD.
I am reviewing the Modle 88CD. First I should mention I grew up on the 1968 KLH modle 6 and 5 speakers and have owned sevral modle 21's,so I know what to expect fron the late Henry Kloss .He voices from the midrange out .This radio screams Kloss voiceing and thats why I have 3 of them. The transport in the CDP is the weakest link but proper isolation tweeks such as placeing the unit on heavy cork will help in getting a better read to the DAC.I can't comment on the alarm features because I don't use them.
I keep one in the babeys nursery and the others in the kitchen and bedroom.
It isent a tube rig but it is very pleasent sounding so its a good starter for the new born to listen on as one
day he will get all dad's Manley Labs,Audion,Music Hall and around 6000 records and lots of CD's.
No other brand beats the sound this modle can offer but some are more sensitive in the tuner section than others,not a desighn flaw just poor alighnment from the factory and easily resolved by a good tech.
Even G.E. super radios some recive better than others and out out of the box and some need the pots turned a bit.Over all this ones a winner and well worth your time and money.

Submitted by GB17g a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2005

Bottom Line:
Great sound for size and money compares very well to bose system, better soundings than the new Boston Acoustics system, but not as good looking. Radio section only fair to good in my area. Would like cd player to begin at point in which you stopped like in a car system. Overall a great secondary system for the audio enthusiast and all most other folks would need.

Purchased At:   Direct from Cambridge

Submitted by Robbie520 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
After much research and positive reviews I eagerly awaited the arrival of the 88CD. I have never been more disappointed with an audio product.

First the sound: I expected decent sound, but nothing over the top - I mean let's be reasonable, it's only a $300 boombox. When I put in a cd (Jacintha's Here's to Ben), I couldn't believe what I heard...on certain upper mid-range notes the speakers sort of warbled. I turned the bass down low -- but still the same impact. I couldn't believe it.

Second The Radio: I live in Metro Atlanta and tuned into the MAJOR AM station here -- the static/radio noise was horrible. Tried to move the radio around as CSW recommends. A little improvement but only if the unit faced the wall. I really wanted this thing to work so I tried it in several rooms and positions. Just couldn't get rid of the static and radio noise. That means I couldn't listen to the AM station if I kept the radio. My $10 Sony radio gets better AM reception. No kidding.

Then I tried some FM stations, with CSW's little FM antenna attached. This was better, but it had trouble pulling in several major stations clearly - that's right, $300 and I get static on major FM stations. I tried all sort of postions. I even hooked up the unit to my Monster Power Supply to see if that helped. Nope! It is obvious that the unit will need an external FM antenna to work properly on FM. And yes, my little $10 Sony again pulls in all the FM stations just fine. So how come this radio costs $300?

Conclusion: This thing is going right back to CSW. I'm assuming that the speakers have a defect, so bad is the sound on some CDs at certain notes. But given the awful reception on AM (there is no way to attach an external antenna for AM), and the poor quality of FM without buying an external antenna -- remember that my $10 Sony has better reception-- I see no reason to try to get a replacement unit.

If you are lucky to get a defect-free unit, make sure you also purchase an external FM antenna and be ready to not listen to anything on AM. Then you too can write a positive review as have the others here.

Submitted by Gary a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
I haven't been to this site for awhile and now noticed that all of the unfavorable reviews that were posted for this product have magically disapeared!
How can a forum be educational if bad reviews are deleted? In any case, I own one of these radios and after working through the quality control problems am satisfied with it. The first radio had a defective woofer that rattled when playing cds, even at very low volume levels, and later rattled on all program material. The unit was replaced under warranty but I had to pay to send it back to CSW. To this day I have not been reimbursed for the shipping charge. The woofer on the replacement unit also rattles a little when playing certain cds so I avoid playing any bass heavy discs on the model 88. The tuner doesn't cause this affect, however.

Purchased At:   CSW mail order