Yamaha TX-950 Tuners

4.36/5 (39 Reviews) MSRP : $429.00

Tuner FM sens 15.1 dBf, alt-ch sel 85dB, 40 presets

Submitted by jygeqq a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2005

Bottom Line:
Purchased one owner tx-950 on ebay. Compared it to my t-1020 which was also bought used on ebay for $30 and recently aligned. tx-950
blew it away in a/b test. Deeper bass. higher highs, expansive sound stage. Picks up distant stations clearly in stereo. Rem ote station change is a plus. Nice tuner

Submitted by Derek a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
Interesting. Either there is a wide variance in quality of parts used in the tx-950 (not likely) or people are applying "speaker comparison" type descriptions. One person's great speaker is another's junk and so on. Well, so it seems to go with this tuner. At the very least, one could hardly argue the attention garnered by this model.

Now then, folks, lets get rational here and state some facts. There are no receiver built-in tuner units that match this unit, PERIOD. This alone makes it high end.
Next, all reception conditions being reasonably good, this unit will produce very very near CD quality sound, both measured and heard, PERIOD. This also makes it high end.
I have heard many of the tuners mentioned by previous reviews. Each one exceptional in their own right. The question one has to ask one self is, "what the hell am I trying to accomplish by buying and listening to this unit?".
Well, whether you are an ordinary consumer, or a self-described audiophile, there is no way you can go wrong buying this unit. Tons of features, 40 presets, dual signal inputs, works fine with ANY Yamaha RS remote control with tuner buttons. The folks here that get into stuff about 'sounds musical' or 'lacks bass' or 'has great soundstage' or 'needs better separation', well need their head read, and please throw out your green markers. Good or bad as some may think, this unit will MEASURABLY produce very fine output signal characteristics that will impress 99% of the listeners out there. What you DO with this fine signal after it leaves the phono jacks is important. Please leave the sonic descriptions out, sonics are a matter of speaker influence, placement, and attitude of the reviewer going into the testing of the equipment. A true audiophile knows to eliminate the other influential links in a complete system ie: preamp, amp or speaker. I won't even go into things such as room construction. I have been a self-described audiophile for over 30 years folks, this tx-950 is a fine unit. Orange was my favorite color growing up as a kid, so I am ok with the display :-o

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by wa3ktz a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
When my bedroom system tuner (a weak performing GTP-400 tuner/preamp) took a lightening strike, I decided to look for a replacement tuner (used) to hook up to the functional Adcom preamp. I had always admired the yamaha tuners from the 1970's, so when I went into Barracks in Trenton NJ and saw the 950 for about $50, I couldn't turn it down.

My main system still uses a McIntosh MX-113 tuner/preamp, and in a heads up comparison, the 950 beats the 113 in DX and overall signal capture. The audio has a biyt thinner bottom end on the 950 (but this could be the fault of the Adcom preamp), but the rest of the sound coming out of the 950 is amazing (Musical Fidelity speakers and Stax electrostatic headphones).

As an amateur radio operator, I know all about weighted tuning knobs and love them. However, I truly enjoy the way the 950 feels during station tuning. It is light, yet very precise feeling.

Overall, the best $50 I've spent in a long time.

Purchased At:   Barracks Trading Pos

Submitted by keithwm a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have been surprised at some of the silly negative reviews of this tuner. Exaggeration does not warrant stupidity in response. This is a very good tuner - the best I have heard in my system.

Purchased At:   Frank Prowse hi Fi

Submitted by Jason Noel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
I got one!

When I was just about to get out of the Navy I decided to put together a better-than-average stereo system, no video switching of any kind. Separates were a little steep in the budget.

I ended up with an AX-570, TX-950, CDC-845, EQ-550, NHT Super Zero's and a Definitive Technology PF-15. All Monster interconnects and speaker cable.

I know, not exactly an audiophile system, but at the time was top-of-the-line non-separates non-video switching Yamaha gear.

As far as the TX-950 goes, I love it. I am glad I got it. A year later the CDC-845 and TX-950 got hacked and man, oh man, am I glad I got them both!

The TX-950 may not be an audiophile-grade tuner, but let's face it: if you want to impress the general public, spending more than what the general public spends will do the trick. This tuner is much better than any built-into-the-receiver tuner that a regular joe would buy. It sounds fantastic, has outstanding tuning ability, and about every bell and whistle you could imagine.

Many people complain about the cheap tuning knob. Well, I never even considered it to be cheap; I think it is very high-tech and accurate to use. I have also read that the output stage is a little underpowered; if you have a decent amplifier it will more than make up for that.

Purchased At:   Honolulu, Hawaii