Sansui Tu-X1 Tuners

Vintage AM/FM Analog Tuner

Submitted by Warren Marshall a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2015

Bottom Line:
The TU-X1 has been described by many as the best vintage tuner out there. This may be a bit misleading. I have two of these, both extensively modified for improved sound quality. Anyone who thinks that a stock TU-X1 is as good as FM can be, has never heard an IMPROVED TU-X1 !

Frankly, I have heard a stock TU-X1 and found other great tuners to be its equal.

Note that, for all the amazing and unique technology which has gone into the AM section, the TU-X1's AM will never live up to its expectations. You do NOT buy this tuner for its AM.

However I have compared my Stereo-Surgeons-modified TU-X1 to a number of tuners, including the amazing (and super-expensive) Accuphase T-1100, and this modded TU-X1 was the clear winner. In fact, until I received my Audio-Horizons-modified TU-X1 (which Joseph Chow modded to my extensive and specific requirements), the Stereo-Surgeons Sansui TU-X1 was, at the time, BY FAR THE BEST SOUNDING tuner I had ever heard.

Amazing 3D depth, superb stereo image, extreme deep bass, mellifluous vocals, great sense of musical momentum. Gives other audiophile sources such as top-flight turntables and SACD players a run for their money.

But, remarkably, it is left in the shade by my Audio-Horizons (Joseph Chow) Sansui TU-X1. Bass is tighter and more detailed, sound stage is amazing, orchestral and vocal timbres are incredibly lifelike and involving. Joseph Chow himself said, after completing his mods, that he thinks it is the best sounding Sansui TU-X1 he had ever heard (and, by extension, the best sounding tuner he had ever heard).

Relaying live classical concert performances, it is as close as I can imagine to being in the actual concert hall (I attend some 20+ live classical concerts every year, so I have a good sense of what they REALLY sound like).

In short, a good, competently upgraded TU-X1 will comprehensively wipe $7,000+ tuners off their pedestal. And I suspect that my no-holds-barred Joseph-Chow-modified TU-X1 is close to, if not THE best sounding FM tuner on earth!

Value for money: What price perfection???? $3000 for a well-modified TU-X1 would have to be considered a real audio bargain. $3,500 for a "standard" Joseph Chow modded one is definitely very good value. For his top of line mods, including full point-to-point rewire, power supply mods, IEC power connector, silver/gold RCAs, Audio Horizons fuse, etc., $4,500 would not be unreasonable at all. My no-holds-barred Audio Horizons tuner? $5K would barely even pique my interest.

Submitted by maxcat a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2010

Bottom Line:
You can get a Revox B760, and you have strong bass and a beefy midrange, but a grainy sound. Or an Accuphase T105 with its sweet but flat and just a bit liveless sound. A Sansui TU9900 has an overall nice sound, but just a bit harsch and not as musical as you would (you can change the op-amps and it will shine, but this is another story). Many old Sony are amazing, but with an old transistor flavour in the sound. Do you like it? A more recent Sony, like the ST-SA5ES is a winner... if you like digital sound. Would you try with some tube tuner? I agree with you! A McIntosh MR71 is nice, no doubt, but will it be able to get all your favourite stations? A Scott has an even sweeter sound (under his strong hum for the AC tube filaments), but it will not be able for sure. Or you can get a Sansui TU-X1, with its amazing overall sound and its unreal stereo imagine, with all the instruments well defined, rich of body and soul. May be some top tuner is sometime a tad more beefy or sweet, but it is the best, plently of life, able to get even the most distant stations without esitations. I've owned and own many tuners but imho the TU-X1 is a breed in its own right. It is heavy and big and not so beauty, but it disappear when the music come on. When it has got its place in my home all the other tuners are vanished: few minutes and I was hearing the music, not the tuner. Some month have been spent and it is the same magic.

Submitted by Tomcam a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
Meanwhile my TU-X1 has been re-designed and modified by reinhard wieschhoff, a well-known German tuner expert (Klein + Hummel, Restek) which strongly improved especially its reception quality (sensitivity, THD, channel separation, selectivity). Some weaknesses in its original design has been corrected and even the sound now is better. Maybe there are some tuners with even slightly better reception (modified Klein + Hummel), but I don't think there are better tuners sonically. This tuner has – besides good stage, fine detail, vivid presentation – something many don't: deep bass.

Submitted by mitch4t a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2005

Bottom Line:
Way overbuilt. When put in a true audiophile system, this unit holds its own against all of the other top flight components in your system. Huge soundstage, lots of depth and detail. Truly a high end piece. And as you upgrade other components in your system....you won't be upgrading your tuner, because there is not better. If you ever get the opportunity to purchase one of these bad boys...do it immediately. Everything that everyone here says about this unit is absolutely true.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Jack. a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
When listening I almost automatically try to distinguish and place the seperate instruments. That gives the music an extra dimension to me. This tuner surprised me many times when I was listening to music that I thought I knew well but suddenly had an extra dimension. I'm very happy with the TU-X1, despite it's size and weight.

VTI: