Samsung SIR-T165 Tuners

• receives and decodes all over-the-air HDTV/SDTV formats, plus over-the air analog (NTSC) signals and most unscrambled analog cable channels
  • rear-panel switch for selecting output (1080i/720p/480p/480i)
  • built-in scaler (upconverts 480i signals to 720p or 1080i)
  • Electronic Program Guide (program information availability depends upon the program source)
  • 1 set of A/V outputs (composite, S-video, and 1080i/720p/480p component video)
  • DVI HDTV output with HDCP copy protection
  • 2 IEEE 1394 (i.LINK) HDTV jacks with AV control for D-VHS recorders
  • RGB output — D-sub 15-pin connector (1080i/720p/480p)
  • 2 sets of A/V inputs (2 composite, 2 S-video, and 1 480i/480p component video)
  • 2 RF inputs (Antenna, Cable)
  • optical and coaxial digital outputs for Dolby® Digital/PCM audio
  • multibrand remote (TV/DVD/VCR/cable)
  • 14-15/16"W x 3-3/8"H x 13-5/8"D

Submitted by CRB a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2005

Bottom Line:
This set top box, or HDTV tuner, is a special piece because it has the Firewire (IEEE-1394) IN/OUT connection that allows archiving of over-the-air HDTV broadcasts on DVHS tapes. BTW, from what I hear and read on the Internet, you can also fool it into sending HDTV to a computers hard drive too, but I have yet to try it.

The Samsung SIR-T165 is functionally a bit of a mixed bag. A station that is not broadcasting currently, like a lot of HD substations are only broadcasting part time, will often cause the tuner to "lock up". The fix is to pull the antennae input and move off the station and then reconnect. I actually returned my first Samsung SIR-T165 to Crutchfied because of this problem.

For me, another big plus of this unit is the ability to take multiple A/V inputs and output them through an S-video out. I use this unit to provide a video feed to my ATI video card in my computer. I switch between the SIR-T165's digital tuner, a stand alone DVD player and a feed trom my DISH network reciever and it allows me to PIP a window of my video of choice while using the computer. Set top boxes with this many Input/Outputs are few.

The sensitivity of the unit is also a bit suspect, in my opinion. Earlier this year I attempted to record the Grammies in HD and this unit refused to "see" the digital HD feed of the CBS affiliate in my area. (KPIX in S.F.) However, I moved the same antenna feed into my DISH HD PVR and it pulled the station without a problem. So that was a strike against the Samsung.

Versatility aside, the Samsung looks pretty good in the rack. Full component width, faux-brushed aluminum front with a mirrored display window. In a day when the bottom has fallen out the set-top box market and the product cost-cutting is really showing this unit (whose original MSRP was near $800 ) stands out aesthetically.

I actually own two of these because had my first unit in behind the computer before I got my Sony HDTV and couldn't find anything else that could do the job after I moved it out to the main system. I bought the first one from Crutchfied for $399 and returned it(because I didn't know how to deal with the "lock up" problem), I bought the second unit from J&R, on closeout, for $350 and now use that one in my TV room. Six month later, I was lamenting the loss of the video feed for my computer and starting looking around for a second SIR T-165. I checked E-bay prices and they wanted over $300 for a used one in decent shape and when I found a new one at Buy.com for $500 decided to get it instead.

Purchased At:   Buy.com

Submitted by Rudy1 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
This ATSC/NTSC/Analog Cable Tuner/Scaler/Switcher offers an excellent combination of features at an attractive price. The super-fast OTA digital tuner locks on to even the weakest signals, and the picture quality on both SD and HD sources is awesome. This tuner can accept SD sources (such as DVD, LD, and SVHS) and scale them to HD resolution. The same is true for analog cable signals, though the resulting image quality depends on how clean your cable signals are to begin.

Purchased At:   SoundCity.com