Pioneer TX-9500 II Tuners

4.67/5 (6 Reviews)

AM/FM Stereo Tuner

Submitted by blackstrat a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2004

Bottom Line:
A buddy of mine had the tx 9500 II
I herd FM like never before
So I bought Pioneer through the years
I had not bought a tuner because,
I knew I wanted the TX-9500.
after all these years looking for this unit, it fell into my hands by LUCK!!!
driving home one day, on the road side
a guy is selling junk I noticed a couple of bright stereo pieces I hit the brakes backup & there it was the TX-9500 II in near mint condition I could not belive it
priced for $10.00 I got the TX-9500 & the Pioneer SA-7500 both for ten bucks WOW.
brought them home plugged them in.
The Sound was there, It is the best tuner
I have ever experinced HANDS DOWN

Submitted by Danger Boy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
I'd been looking for a vintage (over 20 yr old) really good FM tuner for a while. After reading online, I kept coming back to the Pioneer TX-9500II tuner. Time and time again this was the tuner everyone seemed to fall in love with.

I have to say that I do indeed like the smooth open and very sensitive sound this tuner puts out. I am hearing things from FM radio that i have never heard before. I would say the sound is nearly CD quality. It's that good.

IT's simply a beautiful looking tuner if you like the silver faceplate like I do. The tuner is heavy.. weighs in I think at about 20lbs. It's way overbuilt too. It's from the days when stereo equipment was built to last. It seems that most of todays stereo gear is only made to last a few years before it's no longer any good. This is not the case with this Pioneer tuner.

If you find one at a reasonable price. Pick it up and hook it up to a amp and take a listen. Make sure you use some kind of antenna. Without an antenna, the tuner is very weak in dialing in any stations at all. I hooked up a simple "T" shaped indoor antenna.. and have no trouble receiving most all the stations in my local area. An outdoor antenna would be even better.

Purchased At:   Ebay online auction

Submitted by BruceFa a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased a nice example of a Pioneer 9500 II AM-FM tuner. The AM section is mediocre, but the FM section is one of the best that I have used. I have a 6 element yagi mounted to a rotor in my attic, and I can consistently receive many stations 60 miles away, and some of the stronger ones 75 - 80 miles distant. The sound is very neutral, good stereo separation and has outstanding quieting on strong signals. I did purchase a technical manual for it and I carefully realigned it after installing narrow filters, but I did not have to bother with realignment - the improvement was slight. The narrow filters were well worth the small investment of time and money because the new filters have less insertion loss and improve the sensitivity and selectivity quite a bit. I paid $155, a real bargin. It's worth having a good technician install narrow filters and realign it; even if your total is $350 its a bargin.

Submitted by pe1dna a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have owned a Pioneer TX-9500II for about 15 years. Bought it at a discount price around 1984.

When the receiver was introduced in 1978 it was the top line receiver model of Pioneer. New price was 1758 dutch guilders in 1978.

I used it with a rotatable 6 element yagi antenna. An oscillosope connected to the scope output for minimizing FM multipath reception. Great for FM-dxing!

Back then, FM audio could really be very good quality. Nowadays the audio is heavily processed, coming from mpeg sources and using a quality FM receiver is of no use anymore.

Purchased At:   Allwave HiFi Eindhov

Submitted by RR a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
OK, it's an old, very old tuner, and I would not have the heart to send a line on it had I not seen there was one already online: after all, it's a 20-and-more-year-old-machine and I would think nobody would care for it, but James did. So do I. It deserves great respect, and offers absolutely dependable performance. It sounds absolutely neutral and natural. Later tuners (any brand) have turned out to be absolutely mediocre (Day Sequerra excepted) on this point. Pioneers (any kind of machine, not only tuners) have turned out to be absolutely mediocre also. It was a great time for tuners then, and the TX-9500 was a real winner, something of a Rolls Royce of tuners. If you care for FM broadcast and find one easily on hand, stick to it if you can. There's nothing to compare to it these days.
I have nor quoted the price paid because it was aroud a thoudand bucks 20 years ago in Brazil, which would sound quite like "once upon a time"...

Purchased At:   Rio de Janeiro