Parasound TDQ-1600 Tuners

3.44/5 (9 Reviews)

Submitted by George a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
this has got to be one of the best tuners out there for the money. From my area in boston I can pick up stations as far south as providence and as for north as new hampshire. Yes, their is some static in the receiption of distant radio stations but, not enough to make listening unpleasant.

Purchased At:   camras inc

Submitted by Ed a

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
Reception great for a product in this price range.

Submitted by Chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 15, 1999

Bottom Line:
I purchased this about a year ago as an addition to my mostly Parasound system (PSP-1000 preamp, HCA-600A amplifiers).

Sound quality is pretty reasonable, given that FM stations don't exactly go out of their way to broadcast audiophile grade signals. The unit does have one or two quirks, with the most noteworthy being that some presets can only be accessed with the remote. The tuner offers 20 presets, but only has 8 preset buttons on the front (with a kind of "shift" key so that each button is used for two presets). Why they couldn't put two more buttons on it is beyond me.
However, how many presets does one person need (or one city offer)? I only use 8 of them myself.

Tuning ability is pretty good (even with the free dipole antenna that came with it), but there are one or two stations in my area that it has trouble with. However, that could simply an issue with my location, as other stations come in very nicely. Perhaps an outdoor antenna would help correct this problem.

The unit is typical Parasound with its solid build quality, but I've had a small problem with the LED display getting dim every once in a while. Parasound offers a huge warranty on it (10 years, if I'm not mistaken), so if it ever does fail completely, it won't cost me anything to get it fixed.

Overall, a decent tuner for the money.

Submitted by mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 15, 1999

Bottom Line:
this is a fine tuner, good reception, very musical sound. i like the looks (i like the looks of parasound), fit and finish is typical parasound (very well constructed), functionality and feel, and the price. no, it doesnt sound like my cd player or turntable but this beats the sound of the other tuners i tried in the 3 to 5 hundred dollar range. it has the sound and features i was hoping for and a hundred dollars under budget.

nothing fancy, just good quality basic gear.
parasound tuner
parasound cd
parasound pre amp
thorens turntable (oldie but a goodie)
adcom gfa 5500 amp
monitor audio silver 7i's (fabulous)
kimber hero interconnects
dh labs silversonic t14 cables

Submitted by T. Lea a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 16, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have owned this tuner for about 2-1/2 years and am very pleased with its performance for the price ($385 list; I paid $300 n.i.b.). I auditioned it against the NAD 412 and liked it better. I bought it when I upgraded from an Adcom tuner/preamp. It is easy to program and operate and seems to lock in stations well along with my Terk FM-50 antenna. The radio stations in my area produce far from audiophile quality sound, so my feeling is that the tuner's sound is at least as good as the source. The only drawback I can think of is that it is very plain looking in appearance, as is all the Parasound equipment.

My system:
McCormack DNA0.5 D amp
McCormack TLC-1 pre
Rega tt w/ Ortofon MC cartridge and Creek phono stage
NAD CD player
Tice line conditioner
B&W 604 speakers
Kimber cables and interconnects

My true rating is 4 stars, but I am giving it 5 stars to offset the negative statistical variation caused by the duplicate one star review below.

SFLAT: