Magnum Dynalab ST-2 Tuners

Indoor/outdoor FM Antenna

Submitted by Jan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2015

Bottom Line:
Had this antenna bought in november last year, at the same time that i bought a Vincent STU- 8 so there would be nothing on the chain too blame!
But is not worth the money for me. A little wire does it better then this antenna? I live in an area were there are no hills and with a good cover of FM every where in the country. Can only say i am dissapointed over this product!

Submitted by Abtron Automation a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2011

Bottom Line:
We install these Omnidirectional ariels for our customers and they are great for when your components are in the basement. Great value for the money!

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Greg Myers a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2008

Bottom Line:
Bought this antenna with the hopes of using it for FM Dx'ing instead of sitting my car. I mounted it vertical at a height of @13' with @15' RG6 and thus far it has performed terrible. I can go to car and hear semi-locals easily and come back to my tuner and have not even a hint of the same signal reaching my radio. Prime example was listening during some enhanced conditions and could hear stations competing with each other- one in Jacksonville, FL (@200+ mi) and Sarasota, FL (@50mi) with the Jacksonville station overpowering the Sarasota signal- checking inside on a Sony HD receiver with the ST-2- not even a hint of either signal- which pretty much summed it up for me that it was not money well spent. I works well for local reception ie. within 20mi, that is it beats cheap dipoles, but it is certainly not for use by anyone other than a casual listener.

Purchased At:   Magnum Dynalab

Submitted by David Ebertt a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
The ST2 FM antenna made a vast improvement on my system whuch includes a Magnum Dynalab FT 101A Tuner (1997) and Bi-amped with twin Sugden AU41 amplifiers. I have orderes as well a Magnum Dynalab Signal Sleuth. Money well spent.

Purchased At:   Soundstage, Waterloo

Submitted by halfnelson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
Living in a flat in the nearby of Paris, I was looking for a better indoor performer than the given dipole antenna which is usually supplied in every tuner’s package. Because a friend of mind warmly recommended the ST-2 model I finally bought the equivalent (original making?) Metz AM/FM model which IMHO is actually the same reference as the Magnum Dynalab ST-2 and Fanfare FM2-G versions (have a look at Metz website), but at a cheaper price.
I found myself rather sceptical while opening the packaging; it looks like a CB or Marine antenna that has been tailored (tweaked?) for FM reception, and the ugly/ utilitarian style combined with the rather bulky design (whip length) don’t integrate very well with a nice looking living room. OK, OK, you can hide it behind a curtain or furniture but at the expense of reception quality: in ST-2 manual it is clearly recommended to keep the antenna away from walls (a big challenge for an indoor antenna !), TV mast and any reflective vertical surface (so what is the mounting bracket for?) to avoid the ST2 becoming directional.
So here we start the painstaking process to find out the right antenna location which would combine the best FM reception with the famous Woman Acceptance Factor.
But let’s start with the reception quality first; as my tuner provides two FM antenna inputs, I could plug the ST2 in direct comparison with the cheapo dipole antenna which hangs along the wall. After scanning across the FM band and searching the best ST-2 locations & positions everywhere in the room (my wife was outside for shopping ) during a whole afternoon, I came up to the bitter conclusion; my dipole is better and not only by a small margin! Not only the strength meter indicated 3 more LED’s with the dipole than with the ST-2, but it also provided a far cleaner sound with less hiss and noise. Even worse, with the ST-2 some radio stations (usually strong and good )could’nt tune in stereo, or simply kept muted !
I couldn’t believe my dirty $2 dipole could beat the 60 $ “state of the art” passive FM antenna, so I double-checked again and again all connectors, coaxial cable, locations etc…. with no success .
The ST-2 simply doesn’t make it.

Wood Technology: