Magnum Dynalab MD-100 FM Tuner with Optional Remote Control Tuners

4.8/5 (5 Reviews) MSRP : $1595.00

Submitted by aarondoo7 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2008

Bottom Line:
I traded my FT 101A in at MD in Toronto so that I could receive Jazz 91.1 at home seventy miles away. I am not disappointed. In fact if I had known that I could get this quality of music from an ST-2 roof antenna I would have traded up years ago.
The music coming from CBC, NPR and various private classical and jazz stations is stunning.You don't need a good tuner for compressed Top 40 radio and that is why MP3 is so popular.
You have to hear this for yourself through at least a good mid-fi setup.

Purchased At:   Magnum Dynalab

Submitted by Roccoo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2005

Bottom Line:
I 've own the MD100 for a year now and i am very happy with it . The sound is wonderful . It worths every penny i paid for it .

I am not a cheap person like the guy named ASOK, being cheap is nothing to be pround of .

Submitted by asok a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
I am one of those who has heard this unit and sold it.

I think anyone who claims that this sounds as good as a CD player must be using a supermarket CD player. After all FM is FM.

As someone who has gone thru the cycle, I think this product appeals to people who get taken up by the huge brand name, the cool looks, the analog hype and the specialty value of the product - or people who simply have excess money.

FM programming in this day and age is nothing but ads. To spend $1000+ on ads is insane. Secondly, the improvement in sound from a more basic player is simply not worth the money. I sold this unit for a higher price than I bought it for ( to someone who like me wanted the cool yellow potentiometers and blue LEDs and the brand name) and bought a vintage Marantz 10B. I have to say there is very little difference in sound quality. The only area the MD 100 excels in is a better bass quality. I bought the Marantz for $275, made almost $1000 bucks in the bargain, and invested that in buying a whole lot of quality CDs.
Bottomline - this is a "show" product, to look cool on the rack. Dont waste your money.
p.s. whatever tuner you use, make sure to use the Magnum Dynalab ST2 antennae - that is an incredible product.
p.p.s. buy an MD 205 Sleuth and connect that to a basic tuner, and you should be all set, instead of spending $1500.

Purchased At:   dealer

Submitted by Don Lee a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
I never thought FM sounds that good, this tuner actually sounds better than my $2000 cd player and it beat the Fanfare FT-1A in terms of sound and sensitivity.
I listen to FM more than ever.

Purchased At:   Sound By Singer

Submitted by Nate a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a great tuner. Few people who hear it believe I've got the radio on. It's a no frills machine, but if sound quality is your most important consideration, this is an excellent tuner. Not having heard the pricier Magnum tuners, though, I cano not make any sort of meaningful comments about that

Atlantic Technology :