Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Tuners

4.63/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $875.00

Submitted by rek10 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2006

Bottom Line:
Outstanding! Sounds better than my CD/SACD player often! Available factory certified directly from Magnum Dynalab complete with warranty--doubt you could get it for less even on eBay (and without a warranty there, of course). Great customer service, too.

The sound is smooth yet detailed--highs tickle your ears without any harshness, lows firm. Soundstage is wide but still has great imaging. Like I said--I find myself enjoying the sound better than that from my CD/SACD (which is somewhat frustrating--but good for the MD FT-101A!).

I primarily listen to classical, BTW.

Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys the limitless supply of free music obtainable over the air.

Also, this is the first review I've ever written here (lot of reading but never took time to write)--hopefully that will be an indicator of how much I like this product.

I cannot see how anyone could listen to the FT-101A and be disappointed.
Buy certified from factory (check out MD's website), don't bother with eBay--you won't get a better deal there, anyways and you won't have the one-year warranty (and I've gotten every other unit in my system from eBay, so this advice is coming from a person who is a big fan of eBay).

Purchased At:   Magnum Dynalab

Submitted by xarir a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
Picked up the FT-101A used on eBay. According to the Magnum Dynalab website I can update this model to either the newer MD90, MD100 or MD102. I like this in a product - if I ever feel I need something better I can just upgrade as necessary. The tuner itself sounds great! There's a lot more detail to the same stations I usually listen to and more depth as well. I am a little disappointed that the sound separation is less than what I expected, but the sound is still most certainly very good.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Abe Collins a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
I'm not overly concerned with "specs" because many average and even mediocre tuners have great "specs". I wanted a tuner that had great sound and the Magnum FT-101A delivers!

I live in a typical suburban neighborhood about 15 miles from Denver. The radio station towers are on Lookout Mountain which is a clear line-of-sight shot to my deck mounted vertical whip antenna (Fanfare model FM-2G).

The FT-101A is an outstanding tuner and a good value, the best I've owned. I haven't tried the more expensive Magnum tuners but I suspect this one gives you the most bang for the buck, or perhaps their latest model MD-90 which replaces the FT-101A. The others may sound slightly better but at what price? The FT-101A has good frequency response across the board wth good bass and treble extension without sounding muddy or bright. It sounds transparent and clear with good stereo separation and low background noise.

I also owned a Fanfare FT-1A FM tuner (reviewed in October 2001 Stereophile) but found it be lacking dynamics and it had rolled off treble. The Magnum FT-101A is a far better sounding tuner in my experience and it costs less. About the Fanfare, I find that even my Adcom tuner sounds better.

My system at time of review:
Conrad-Johnson Premier 11a tube amplifier
Fanfare FM-2G back yard deck-mounted vertical whip antenna

Purchased At:   Audio Unlimited Denv

Submitted by Daniel Ming a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
Outstanding tuner if you want to pick up distant stations in stereo. Sounds better on weak stations than any other tuner I have used. On local stations sounds good but not as good as Amber tuner. Sounds a bit bland on local stations.

Purchased At:   Audio Alternative

Submitted by Edward Riedijk a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
Because of the high European price it's less interesting than in Amerika but still worthwile. At first i had a little hum when i tuned downwards to approx. 90 Mhz, and the solution to this is: on the input from the 10 times potentiometer (tuning) i added a styroflex capicitor in parallel with voltage and earth (1picofarad). If you want to upgrade de overal sound: Replace the audio output capacitors, they are in this model just simple and cheap electrolitic ones, unbelievable because the motherboard was originally designed for the Dynalab FT 101 Etude version, and stripped down for the regular FT 101 version so still having the space for MKP audiophile capicitors (intended for the Etude) you can simply upgrade your tuner, and this is very easy to do. The results: ashtonising and greatly upgraded sound, you'll be amased wat these little things do! Very recommended! Still unbelievable why they cut down little costs at the standard FT 101 version when avoid making an icredible progress adding these MKP capacitors.

Purchased At:   stuut en de bruin

SFLAT: