Magnum Dynalab Etude Tuners

4.56/5 (18 Reviews)

Submitted by yoyohead a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
This tuner makes me want listen to the FM radio.
The detail and clariry of this unit is amazing. It blows away
digital tuners!!!!!

Purchased At:   Used Audiogon

Submitted by k7-wave a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is the factory Etude rather than the FT-101A upgrade. The unit is indeed "on" all the time (the meters can be seen deflecting when the tuner is off) and consequently there is no drift after turn-on as noted by others using the upgrade.

As an FM DX-er who delights in listening to stations in distant markets that I am not "supposed" to be listening to, this is the tuner that makes it possible. Its excellent adjacent channel selectivity betters the Carver and its manual tuning knob allows stations to be tuned that the Carver's channelized tuning loses. From here in the Seattle area I can listen to Portland or Vancouver BC stations anytime with full quieting, as well as most of the small college stations scattered in between.

I am using a MD Signal Sleuth and APS-14 long boom antenna on a rotor with the Etude. This is an exceptional setup for long-haul reception.

The sonics are open and superb as noted by others, but it only betters the Carver in this area by a very small margin (The TX-11A is also an excellent tuner).

All in all I can't imagine ever upgrading again, this tuner gives me everything I hoped for and more. I highly recommend the Etude, especially cost-effective if purchased used/demo and with the MD Signal Sleuth for those in fringe areas or interested in distant reception.

Purchased At:   Demo, stereo shop cl

Submitted by Eric a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
I just bought the 2001 FT101A with Etude Upgrade, Silver faceplate and Gold knob and accents. I got it customized to match my Musical Fidelity A3 components. The Tuner, like any other component, takes a while to burn in. After about a month I noticed a difference when listening to Opera. Also, keep the tuner away from your CD player. The CD player produces high levels of RF. I have the Tuner on the top rack and the A3 CD player on the bottom.

Magnum advertises that the Etude upgrade will equate to a 35% increase in sonic quality. Not too sure how many % the quality has increased, but it sounds better that it did before the upgrade so I'm happy.

The 2001 models of the FT101A and Etude with the blue light and Gold LED all use the new circuit boards used in the new MD90 and MD100. So you can save yourself heaps of cash by getting a 2001 model instead of a MD90 or MD100.

If you have any questions or constructive suggestions on how to improve this model or the system below please feel free to email me.

System:

Musical Fidelity A3 Integrated (Neutral)
Will move up to A300 when my room grows.

Musical Fidelity A3 CD (A little bright)
Thinking of getting something that's easier to sit down and listen to like the EAD Ultradisk, Rega, Roksan etc..
Suggestions are welcome

Magnum Dynalab 2001 FT101A Etude Upgrade(Sweet and musical)

Cliffhanger Audio CHS-2 W2 Speakers (Similar to Dynaudio)
cliffhangeraudio.com

Cardas Quadlink 5C Throughout the system (You know Cardas)
Thinking of trying out the Alpha Core IC's, if you've tried them out please let me know

DIY Extension with Hubbell Outlets and 12 Gauge Cord
Made this neat extension/power bar for $20. Go to your local Electrical Supply shop and ask for:
10-15' of 12 gauge extension cord
Two Isolated ground Hubbell AC outlets
A box to house the 2 outlets
Hospital grade plug large enough to handle the 12 gauge

Purchased At:   Audioman1 (audiogon.com)

Submitted by Bob White a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
Like Ralph Warren (4/01) I purchased a demo FT 101A direct and MD did an Etude upgrade, HOWEVER, like Michael (4/01) my unit drifts during the first 30 minutes every time I turn it on. Upon turning it back on, say the next day, I have to re-tune it, even if I want to listen to the station to which it was last tuned. MD says this shouldn't happen because the front end stays "on" when the power is off. Well, mine does this every time! Also, the tuning knob is too stiff for a unit at this price / quality level.

I am now returning it for the second time with a note to refund my two return shipping charges and, should they not fix it to my satisfaction this time, to refund my $850.

In MD's defense, they have been real gentlemen...like the good folks at Bryston. I just wish their tuner performed as flawlessly as my Bryston gear has for the last 7 years.

Purchased At:   direct

Submitted by mike a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a pleasant sounding tuner but I find it
really hard to justify the price.

It seems that in the quest to get low noise levels,
many tuners end up sacraficing openness and high
frequency response.

I found this true on the Fanfare, Tandberg and Yamaha.

The ol' NAD does not have the sensitivity or low
noise of the higher end tuners, but the sound quality
on a good station is more detailed, dynamic and
live sounding.

For those of you unwilling to believe this,
I did find the Fanfare to be slightly better than
the Etude in sound quality and in noise suppression.
The Etude did let a lot of channel noise through.

Regarding the output stage, Magnum should get rid of
the capacitors and go to a direct coupled circuit.

Purchased At:   demo