Fanfare FM FM-2G Tuners

3.71/5 (17 Reviews)

Vertical FM antenna

Submitted by Steven a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2007

Bottom Line:

I've used this antenna for several years, and i want to express that i'm completely satisfief with this antenna. It's my first antenna, and it'll be my last. But, there are a couple of things that you have to bear in mind when you are going to use it:
1, It might be possible that you are not satisfied when you use it indoors, next to walls and down to the floor etc. You won't receive many stations and the quality is maybe not so good.
2, Install it outside, on on the top of your roof, as high as possible, free of obstructions, and you won't believe your ears. Hight is indeed the key, and together with a decent tuner and sound system, you'll be very happy with this antenna.

Mine is installed already for 4 years on top of my roof. Whether it is snowing or raining, of when there is a storm blowing, this antenna keeps giving decent signals to feed my tuner.

I can recommend thiis omni antenna very much to anyone involved with quality FM reception.

Purchased At:   Fanfare direct

Submitted by a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2004

Bottom Line:
After reading all the info on the Fanfare website, and reviewing the literature they sent me a few years ago, I decided to get one and "hear" for myself how good this thing really is. I compared it to a Radio Shack "Omnidirectional" antenna, #15-2164, mounted in the attic of a 2 story house. Same exact location. Same coax. I took meter reading on my Modafarri modified McIntosh MR71 tuner for various stations, up & down the dial....some strong, some not, some local and some distant.
("distant" for me is about 70 miles to Lansing from my north of Detroit area)
I then substituted the Fanfare and took the readings again. Across the dial, they were lower. I was amazed!! A $95. antenna getting whipped by a $14.99 crossed dipole!! I ran the test again. Same results.... Some of the strongest stations went from a 7.5 to a 7. Weaker ones went down from a 5.5 to a 4.4.
Still further, weaker stations simply fell off my dial.(like Lansing) In NO CASE, did the FM-2G do better than The Shack antenna.

I also compared a simple dipole hooked up to a McIntosh MAC1500 receiver. Same results, unfortunately, for the Fanfare.

Purchased At:   Audio Dimensions

Submitted by halfnelson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
This review is for fanfare FM-2G, Magnum Dynalab ST-2 and Metz OEM model:
Living in a flat in the nearby of Paris, I was looking for a better indoor performer than the given dipole antenna which is usually supplied in every tuner’s package. A friend of mind warmly recommended the equivalent (original making?) Metz AM/FM model which IMHO is actually the same reference as the Magnum Dynalab ST-2 and Fanfare FM2-G versions (have a look at Metz website), but at a cheaper price.
I found myself rather sceptical while opening the packaging; it looks like a CB or Marine antenna that has been tailored (tweaked?) for FM reception, and the ugly/ utilitarian style combined with the rather bulky design (whip length) don’t integrate very well with a nice looking living room. OK, OK, you can hide it behind a curtain or furniture but at the expense of reception quality: in ST-2/ FM-2G manual it is clearly recommended to keep the antenna away from walls (a big challenge for an indoor antenna !), TV mast and any reflective vertical surface (so what is the mounting bracket for?) to avoid the ST-2/ FM-2G becoming directional.
So here we start the painstaking process to find out the right antenna location which would combine the best FM reception with the famous Woman Acceptance Factor.
But let’s start with the reception quality first; as my tuner provides two FM antenna inputs, I could plug the ST-2/ FM-2G in direct comparison with the cheapo dipole antenna which hangs along the wall. After scanning across the FM band and searching the best ST-2/ FM-2G locations & positions everywhere in the room (my wife was outside for shopping ) during a whole afternoon, I came up to the bitter conclusion; my dipole is better and not only by a small margin! Not only the strength meter indicated 3 more LED’s with the dipole than with the ST-2, but it also provided a far cleaner sound with less hiss and noise. Even worse, with the ST-2/ FM-2G some radio stations (usually strong and good )could’nt tune in stereo, or simply kept muted !
I couldn’t believe my dirty $2 dipole could beat the 60 $ “state of the art” passive FM antenna, so I double-checked again and again all connectors, coaxial cable, locations etc…. with no success .
The ST-2/ FM-2G simply doesn’t make it.

Submitted by Mark Fenberg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchased the FM-2G antenna back in May of 1998 and have been very pleased with it. However, there have always been a few stations that I like to listen to that have never come in with a clear enough signal for quiet stereo listening. I have gone so far as to try a few other separate tuners, rather than the tuner section of my Denon AVR-2700 DD receiver, which we all know has only marginal reception. In testing separate tuners, they really weren't much better. I considered the Magnum Dynalab "Signal Sleuth" to correct some of my signal problems. I discussed my reception problem with a knowledgeable local upscale stereo shop. On his recommendation, I first tried changing to "quad-shield" RG-6 cable. No real improvement. Then, this morning, October 19, I finally bit the bullet and took his second suggestion: try moving the antenna to a different location. It is mounted outside and proved a bit tedious to remove from its' original location, as I installed it extremely well! I picked what I thought may be a better location. Well, what a difference in reception! I've been listening to some jazz stations at 88.7, which is a low-power station from a local college. Crystal clear in stereo! I was always having problems with an "oldies" rock station more than 40 miles away. No problem now! I guess it just goes to show that the secret to good FM reception, in as much in picking a spot for the antenna, is just like buying a house: location, location, location! I'm EXTREMELY pleased now with the signal I'm getting and just wanted to let everyone know of my experience.

Purchased At:   Fanfare website

Submitted by William Corbin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have this antenna coupled with a pretty good tuner, the Yamaha TX-930. Initially I had this antenna mounted indoors in the ground floor of my bi-level. Yes, I know this is a poor location. But even here this antenna was beating the pants off the cheap dipole antenna I as the B input on the Yamaha (FM-2G is A input). Out of my 24 presets the FM-2G was the better antenna for 20 of the stations. Well I finally got off my butt and mounted the antenna outdoors on the eves of the house. Wow, this makes a huge difference. For the majority of my preset stations the signal strength at least doubled. Now there are only 2 stations that still oddly enough come in better using the dipole (this is one reason out of several why I like the TX-930 with its dual antenna inputs). Now remember also that I live in between Lancaster Pa and Harrisburg. I can now pick up stations from Baltimore, Reading, and Philadelphia, clearly. For $90 this antenna while not cheap is certainly worth it if you are a serious listener of FM. But, do as Fanfare recommends and mount this puppy as high as possible. Also, a decent tuner makes a difference. I didn't mention that when I initially bought this antenna I had it mounted outside but it was connected to the tuner on my Onkyo Integra DTR-7 receiver. The results were very mediocre on this receiver's tuner so I moved it back downstairs and indoors and the sound actually improved. The TX-930 though is in a whole other league from the crappy tuner on the Integra. So, mounted high with a decent tuner you should get good results, at least I did.

Purchased At:   Fanfare Direct