Home | Reviews | Tuners | Denon

Denon TU-255 Tuners

Entry-level AM/FM RDS stereo-tuner featuring a rotary tuning knob and a 40 station memory.

Submitted by Dennis Ong a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
My reference tuner is a beautifully crafted (and equally beautifully sounding) Audiolab 8000T which I use in the lounge for serious listening. In my bedroom I had previously used a 10 year old ONKYO M70 tuner (was part of a midi system). The sound from the ONKYO was quite good. Recently, the tuner packed up. I was forced to look around for a new tuner. I read widely, spoke with friends and finally settled for the DENON TU-255 which I bought like a pig in the poke! When I hooked it up to my system (YBA Integre DT, and beautifully crafted satellite speakers from a German Co - ARCUS [these speakers are definitely much, much better than anything I heard of the BOSE system!!], and what emanated from the speakers was sheer musicality. Considering that I was hearing a tuner straight out of a box, I was taken with the sound which would have given my Audiolabs a good run for the money. Even with my fingers to the antennae slot (you don't even need an antennae!), the signal strength was good enough to hear a crystal clear sound. I am absolutely pleased with the sound, and for about US$170, I consider it one of hifi's best kept secret!! Its an absolute steal. In its price range, it has no peers and will easily put many of the very much more expensive tuners to shame. Build quality is reasonably good, and controls are easy to understand and use.

Purchased At:   Dealer

Submitted by Jose Mesquita a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
Top sound, good detail, strong bass, tuneful.

Real good equipment, and Denon is just using normal components (no audiophile parts inside ...).

Partner equipment:

Amplifiers: Audiolab 8000C pre/ 8000P power; and Musical Fidelity Pre-Amp 3A / Marantz 250M power Amplifier.

Speakers: