Revox A77 Dolby Tape Decks

4.67/5 (9 Reviews)

10 " Open Reel with Dolby

Submitted by TomDallas a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2010

Bottom Line:
I've owned many open reel and digital recorders. Years ago I recorded my kids high school jazz band with my Revox A77 Dolby and 2 Shure SM81 mikes. In parallel, I came out of the same mixer into a Tascam digital DAT recorder. The Revox master tape had much more spacial information. You could here the depth of the jazz ensemble. The digital recording was clean and a bit quieter but simply did not produce the soundstage depth and warmth. I also have a Revox B77 and a Teac X-1000R. The Revox decks sounds almost identical with the B77 having more gentle tape management but a cheaper composite cabinet. The Teac X1000R sounds great with much more advanced tape management and it can use a broader range of tape. However, the internal build quality does not compare to the Revox decks. Personally I find all three decks sound superior to most digital recording devices until you use 24 bit at 192K sampling frequency and excellent electronics. The Revox A77 is highly recommended and very cool.

Submitted by Walt Clifford a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased my ReVox A77 in 1974 as a new machine, and it has been in continuous use since that time. It's needed maintenance during this long period, which is to be expected, including replacement of the record and playback heads, but the sound has always been exemplary. Although I originally got the A77 to do line recordings, the real potential of this superb recorder became apparent when I made live recordings with a Sony ECM-99 stereo mic I had purchased. I was then prompted to invest in two pairs of professional mics, by beyerdynamic and Schoeps, and this is where the incredible sound potential of this machine was unleashed! I became fortunate enough to record a very fine professional symphony orchestra, and using ORTF mic placement techniques, I obtained results that included tremendous dynamic range, spectral and phase accuracy, and above all, deeply satisfying musicality.

Purchased At:   Soundarama, So.Orang

Submitted by Eydun Rein a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have had this Revox A77 for almost 40 years, without having any major problems.

Purchased At:   K T Radio, Copenhage

Submitted by PAUL THOMAS a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have had a B77 Mk2 2 track for several years bought second hand. I spent a lot of time getting the machine properly set up so now there is no detectable difference between source and tape. I use Ampex456 tapes which are expensive but I tend to use the machine to record radio broadcasts rather than to make archive recordings. Setting up is key to get the performance out of these machines so prospective buyers need to be prepared to get specialist advice. Sound quality is noticably better than minidisc or CDRW when recording analogue sources. For digital sources forget the Revox and make direct copies to MD or CDRW. Digital domestic recorders are so good now that I would only recommend the Revox to dedicated enthusiasts

Submitted by John Kido a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
After approx 20 years since I sold my first A77 I was able to find a used one thru e-bay. Unfortunately, after a few (approx 2) hours of operation it starts smeling (burnt cabling ?) and it starts spinning fast forward by itshelf. Pls if you have any ideas on how to fix it send an e-mail. Apart from that everything has gone fine to date. I love this machine and its looks and I hope to keep it for many years.

CSB 1206 BLK: