Pioneer CT-S830S Tape Decks

3.86/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by Tonythekingfisher a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2013

Bottom Line:
I have used a CTS 830S since 1997. In that time, I have archived over 500 albums from my Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME V/Lyra Lydian deck as well as listening to pre-recorded tapes and self-recorded tapes and the sound quality is superlative using TDK SA, Maxell UDXL and a variety of metal tapes.

It's easy to use, utterly reliable (never needed any attention) and has both an extended frequency response and low tape noise.

One of the best pieces of audio equipment I've owned and recommended unreservedly.

Submitted by Miles Hand a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've just revisited and read Jochen's rant. I agree with him that Japanese engineering is excellent, which is why I was surprised that the transport of my deck broke down. Failures, in my experience, are the exception rather than the rule.

By way of an update, and in fairness to Pioneer, the capstan motor was replaced by my dealer and the deck has continued to make superb recordings ever since. If I was rating the deck only on sound quality I'd give it 5 stars. The 3 star ratings reflect my (possibly unlucky) experience with the mechanics.

Submitted by Jochen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
Replaced my cts550s and previous Sony & Teac decks. Sound quality, as reviewers say is up with Nakas I've heard. Earlier reviewer (with all British equipment) bemoans reliability, well for anyone to serious claim that British electronic build quality is BETTER than Japanese is the most ridiculous, ill-educated, partisan, head in the sand twaddle I've heard since...well...EVER! As is mentioned by various people in the PIONEER PS-S06 CD player it review, it trounces higher priced British kit for build and finish,...but sadly there still seems to be a "we're better than them" attitude in a few audiophile circles. They pay £4000 for a cd player purely and solely because the majority of people can't afford one so it makes them feel elite and superior to us commoners who shouldn't be allowed HiFi. You only have to compare Pace and Amstrad's "take home now, incinerate later" crap to their equally priced competition from the likes of Sony and Toshiba in TVs and Videos etc to get a taste of British finish and reliability. Miles Hand also comments on a problem he had but he does it objectively, and in my wide experience any reliability problems with Pioneer or for that matter any good Japanese maker is the exception rather than the rule. Sorry to rant, but I really get irritated by generalised jingoism. Anyway, upshot - good player, go buy one.

Submitted by Miles Hand a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
I also bought this deck on the basis of reviews which emphasised its high quality engineering, and it certainly seemed to record and play without any trace of instability. I was very disappointed when the transport packed up after 13 months, but my dealer repaired it for free on the grounds that it shouldn't have happened to such a top notch machine. Yesterday 22 July 2000, the transport failed again.

In a recorder which is supposed to give a Nakamichi a run for its money, a failure every twelve months is unacceptable.

Submitted by J Robinson a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 25, 1999

Bottom Line:
Having heard this deck over a friend's place there was no doubt this was one of the best sounding cassette decks I have ever heard. Previously I had an Aiwa ADS-950 3 head Dolby S deck, but this was plagued by a bad flutter problem. Not so with the Pioneer, no matter how hard I try, and on how many different occasions, when loaded with a TDK MA90 blank cassette I cannot pick out wow or flutter, indeed sometimes when I thought I had, it turned out to be the original source.
There is minor treble lift but this doesn't detract from a deck which I can trust. Unlike others I have tried the performance doesn't vary from deck to deck. Cassettes made on my friend's 830S play just as well on my deck. It also makes highly compatible recordings which sound good in anything from a tranny to a car stereo cassette deck.

The deck's frequency response is easily better than CD (extends up to 25KHz) so there's a lot of un-used potential there. Dynamic range isn't the highest due to the meters only showing to +6dB instead of +8 or +10, but this doesn't detract from a deck which actually feels like you've spent £500 on it.

To those who have had a bad experience with cassette decks, this is one to renew the faith. If you've had problems with an 830S, you're in the minority and should get the deck replaced not repaired.

MS 1400W: