Onkyo TA-RW244 Tape Decks

2.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Submitted by uncle bruno a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
There's no reason to buy this unless you already have Onkyo components & are dead seat on getting an Onkyo deck for the remote interconnect capability. There are decks that do the same for less money & decks that do more for the same money. I don't have complaints about the sound quality of prerecorded tapes or tapes recorded on this machine. It seems well-built. But it has very few features. If you hate lots of buttons, the lack of features may be a virtue, since the front panel & manual are very simple. Features lacking are Hx Pro, MPX (?) filter for recording FM, Dolby S, dual tape counters, pitch control, remote control of both decks with some of the newer model Onkyo receiver remotes (which control only 1 deck). For $170, maybe one shouldn't expect all of these, but I think that at least Hx Pro & the filter for FM recording should be part of this deck. However, within its limitations, it seems like a well-built deck that has decent sound. I used it for over 6 months & then traded it in as part of a package deal. Replaced with the Marantz SD-4050, reviewed under old products section of tape decks.

Purchased At:   American TV

Submitted by Herman Bodewes a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
My experience with this tape deck is full of negative surprises.

Previously I used an AKAI tape deck for some 15 years, when I bought it it was very modern, when I threw it out (1 year ago) the functionality was common on more expensive tape decks. This AKAI was an extremely! good deck, and I would recommend AKAI decks for everyone who likes good sound. Nice design, very good sound, very easy to use.

My opinion about my new ONKYO WA-RW244, with which I am not so happy at all:
- no auto-search functionality
- design (especially eject knobs) are ugly
- VERY DISTURBING!: when rewinding or forwarding the tape sound is heard (my AKAI did that, but when auto-searching, because then it has to. Since my ONKYO does not provide auto-search, then why does it still make this sound?!)
- the recording level adjustment knob is difficult to turn and therefore unprecise
- one counter for two tape decks, changed with a small, unhandy button (why not two counters on either side of the display?)
- no matter what tapes you use, the mechanism is loud
- no Dolby HXPro
- when tape is at the end of the magnetic strip, my AKAI would recognise (I think by some kind of sensor) and turn tape around, so only a fraction of a second interruption of sound. My new ONKYO plays until end of tape, takes the not-recordable as well, when the tape is at the 'real' end the ONKYO feels it can't move on, then it thinks (at least so it seems) of what to do, decides to turn, and plays the other side. With some cassettes this means some 10 sec. (and this is a lot!) interruption of sound, especially when recording.

I would recommend this deck only to people who already have other ONKYO components and feel that remote control of deck B only (play in both directions, FF, Rew, Rec, Stop) is definitely a must. For everybody else: look at any other product in same price category and buy anything else, since it'll probably not be worse than this ONKYO TA-RW244!

Purchased At:   Auchan, Budaors, Hungary

Submitted by N. Curtis Larkin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
I really wish that Onkyo would have done away with two decks, charged the same $ for an improved single deck version. I don't need nor care for two decks, but since it's all they have I bought it to 'match' the system I have and avoid yet another remote. The sound quality is b+, nothing to brag about. I also wish there was anautomatic music search. In my opinion the Sony TCWE435 does a better job if this is the kind of deck you're looking for.

Purchased At:   OMG, Circuit City

Submitted by agooddream a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
Onkyo now only features one tape deck the TA-RW244. The deck sounds and is priced average. I was looking to buy a TA-RW344 because it has more features. Unfortunately, the TA-RW344 has been discontinued by Onkyo and the deck is hard to find.

Purchased At:   www.crutchfield.com