Onkyo TA-2058 Tape Decks

4.9/5 (10 Reviews)

3-motor, 3-head tape deck

Submitted by Richard Graf a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2015

Bottom Line:
This machine had to have been the PINNACLE of cassette tape decks. I bought mine used for $40 about three years ago. It has suddenly failed.

It does all functions, rewind, ff, AMCS in both directions. BUT it will not "play". It worked fabulously for a few years and I will not abandon it: I want to get it fixed.

A few years ago, someone asked about a factory repair manual for this unit. I have just ordered one on e-Bay, an original tech manual.

While I have skills in electronic technology going back 50 years, I am not confident in my own hands to do intricate work anymore. I bought the manual because if I find anyone who is willing and capable of repairing it, I want that person to have the manual.

Analog audio remains the BEST sound quality there is. Digital technologies destroyed something. Something that I have never been able to discern. But I still cherish the mellow and flowing sound of vinyl and the fact that the only "problem" with the analog systems is that you have to "rewind" the media plus the fact that "hardware" (meaning vinyl record pressings and commercial tape copying methods) that were too delicate to handle the abuse of most casual "users" caused part of the demise of analog audio. But today there is digital software that removes the "clicks" from the vinyl products!

One FACT that I only learned because after so many years of succumbing to DIGITAL, I went back to analog vinyl and my old cassette tapes that go back to the 70s. What I found was that a cassette deck as advanced as this Onkyo TA 2058, plus the eventual "metal oxide" tapes and "Dolby C" produced sound quality that digital CANNOT better.

I am not interested in even shopping for a "better" cassette tape deck. There is none. I want to have mine repaired.

Submitted by moy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2006

Bottom Line:
I had some many cassettes and no way to listen to them but for 1 of our vechilces. Ihave many no longer made cassettes that I almost tossed them . I was not sure if thisa worked but for 2.99 I took a small gamble. It even makes my bose speakers to tv and stereo sound better . I wish I had the manual so I coul get full use of it. I want to mke cassettes and make CD's from tapes. If any of you know where I can download or purchase a manual I would be forever grateful. This was expensive in 87 . I am thrilled with it . I smiled when I saw you had reviews .written recently. I wonder if it would work with remotes that came with reciever, dvd,vcr and list the tape player on them?? I paid 2.99 for it

Purchased At:   GoodWill

Submitted by Bill Anderson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2006

Bottom Line:
Like others whom have written reviews on this wonderful component, I purchased mine new almost 20 years ago and have been recording and playing tapes since. Like my vinyl records and CDs, I play cassett tapes often. This machine has been flawless since day one and I have recorded many hundreds of tapes. When I record a CD, I am amazed at how incredibly close the sound of the tape sounds compared to the source. I am also impressed with the build quality and how easy it is to use. If you want or need a cassett deck, search one of these out;you will not be disappointed. Bye the way, mine is not for sale! I only wish that my new car had a deck in it instead of just an in-dash CD changer.
Oh well, technology changes.

Purchased At:   Hifi Heaven in Green

Submitted by Greg Jones a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
This 3-head 3-motor cassette deck about 15 years ago. It's part of Onkyo's Integra line. I bought mine for about $325 dollars back then. It is a great deck and loaded with features. It has Dolby B & C, HX Pro, logic transport controls, real time counter, autmatic bias sensors, forward automatic search, and LED meters. It makes great tapes. I purchased an Excellent NAD 6100 deck to record audiophile direct to disk vinyl records, and this Onkyo when CD's came out! It is a quality machine and has never been in for a repair.

Submitted by Oleg Pretetsky a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
Great tapedeck. Very clean recordings... Quiet operation....
Very transparent recordings (still a tape though)..
Audio aspects of this tapedeck are superb, the deck is a quality workhorse... built craftmanship however really shows the economical approach...

Purchased At:   flea market