Nakamichi LX-5 Tape Decks

4.89/5 (9 Reviews)

3-head cassette deck

Submitted by Clint Flournoy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2007

Bottom Line:
Ahh.......the Nak LX5 cassette deck. Stealth in appearance but, every bit a Nak. This is the second LX series i've owned. Had the 3 many years ago. Always wanted the 5 but didn't have the lettuce to spring for it. I have 3 other Naks, which i like but this one has a look like no other deck. Like an early review stated, it's a conversation piece, most people would never guess it's a cassette deck and the performance is astounding. Don't be fooled, it's high performance all the way. I only wished they would've offerred it in Black, that would've been real hip. I remember years ago when i had one, the women just loved it. yes, it was definately a linen dropper, for sure! They thought i was Action Jackson or somebody. I've seen a few floating around, if you see one, get one, you won't be dissappointed at all. Got a hunch for one, got lucky and grabbed it. Easy to use, easy to maintain and when set up properly, you can't tell the difference betwix source and tape. i think it'll be a collectors item, who knows? Interesting that Nak kept the same design concept with the X series decks, i.e, ZX, RX.

Purchased At:   Can't reveal that

Submitted by Harold a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2006

Bottom Line:
My Nach LX5 was the 2nd cassette deck I purchased after using Reel to Reel for a number of years. That is to say that I owned this for more than 20 years. Ofter thought about selling it, but I'm glad I didnt. The performance of this deck is as good as the day I bought it. It is simple, rugged, extremley good electronics and recorded tapes sounds as good as the cd or record. Luckily, keeping fingers crossed, I've not had any maintenance other than normal cleaning. If you still have a desire to use tape and you find one of these, buy it, even if you pay slightly more than $110.

Purchased At:   Breier Sound Center

Submitted by Lord_De_Winter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2005

Bottom Line:
I am reviewing the Nakamichi CR4A cassette deck. This is a rare deck and is usually not available on auction sites such as Ebay and Audiogon.

I just replaced my mint condition LX 5 with a CR4A which is also in mint condition. I bought this on Ebay from someone who really does not know the value of this deck. This 3 head cassette deck is very much on par with its illustrious mates such as the cr5a and cr7a. Although I loved the LX 5, the Cr4a is a smoother deck and the feather touch buttons are wonderful to use. This deck was brought out in 1988 - 1990 and Nakamichi incorporated the latest trends in the design. It has a certain "play again" button that was not there in previous models. If you find someone selling this model, seize it! It is so good!
The newer cassette decks are crap. I used a Harman DC 520. It was a sad loser in comparison with the Naks.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by biggarthomas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
I'm not sure that I can say anything that has not already been said. I bought the LX-5 about one year ago. Since it got damaged in transit I took it to my favourite tech guy, a friend of the family's for years. Do not let that fool you though. He still charged me $180CDN to fixa and refurbish it. Then it took me months to pick it up then a couple of months to play it. Gee, I'm going to startt collecting tapes again. Whata lovely sound. It's got that analogue smoothness and the fidelity of no other cassette deck that I've heard before. I used to have a pretty good HK deck. Bought it when they first came out. No way it can touch the Nak.This machine must be pretty near the pinnacle of cassette deck quality. No new stuff sounds lik this. There is no incentive for firme to make a cassettee deck like this. I was clearly made when there was no rush to glorify some new technology. It was far enough ahead of CDs that Nak was still trying to improve these machines. Many guests cannot tell wheather it's a Cd or cassette tape playing when I do a blind test!! I have not tried recoeding yet but that's coming very soon. I'm never going to trade this machine. It's mine forever.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Alex Stoner a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
The LX-5 is unequalled in playback and recording. An LX 5 in mint condition like mine looks spectacular too. If you get one of these, don't hesitate - simply buy it. It will give you years of audio pleasure. One of the NAK greats like the Dragon, ZX -9 and the RX 505.

Purchased At:   Stereophile.com