Nakamichi LX-3 Tape Decks

4.67/5 (12 Reviews)

Submitted by a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
When I recently hooked back up with a high school friend/musician, he mentioned that someone had given him a tape machine and would I like to check it out? I said sure, went over to his place and saw this "Nak" sitting there in his closet! I offered him soem coin for it, he accepted and I took it home.
Well, the drive belts were worn to death, the fast forward and rewind had tons of slipping to them, and to make matters worse, the deck would not go OUT of record mode.
My technician friend had me bring the deck into his shop, where he proceded to teach me EVERYTHING about the transport mechs. on this deck! We got it working like new within 3 hours (and $3.00 for two new belts!).
Even thought I've only had the deck for three days now, I can not believe how pure and clean the sound is, regardless of how it is set up (no NR, Dolby B, or C)! I sounds killer and makes me wonder why tape died (or is still dying) its slow death (personally, I think its the lack of GOOD machines like this!).
From top to bottom, this deck gets almost everything right! Sure, you can still over cook (read: distort) the tape if levels are too high, but thats a small price to pay for something that gets vinyl AND CD down like a mirror image. My wife thought I was actually playing a record when she came home yesterday! I really FOOLED HER!!!
I think I'll keep it!

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by elkcub a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
Wow, was I ever smart to buy this unit. I've been using an entry-level Nak BX-100 (gear modified) for the last 15 years, but this older, classic, LX-3 is much more refined. In fact, it produces something very close to the warm sound of vinyl (Thorens, Grace, VPI cleaner), absent apprehensions of random buzzes and pops. I imagine that the improvement over the BX-100 is in the playback heads, but perhaps the precision of a dual capstan tape-feed plays a role. In any case, the musical sound is superb, and I've now gone through evey cassette in my collection with renewed enjoyment. Although I have not used tape recording features much in the past, I'm going to be experimenting with it again, using the 20 db Dolby C noise reduction this machine has. Although not as readily found as the newer BX series Naks, my advise to the serious audiophile is to buy one of these remarkable LX units if one is available in good condition.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Claudia Jansen-Dortmans a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
In 2Q I bought it on the web - a true second hand, flew it from Europe to the UK, switched it on and since then it has worked flawless. It did not come with a manual, but you do not need that at all.

I feel that - similar to vinyl - it sounds more natural than most CD's or digital radio let alone any compressed/decompressed way of reproducing sound. For the techies among us, yes I am using Dolby B only.

Please note that I am neither pro nor against analogue or digital so please do not send any e-mails to start a dialogue.

May be when you grew up with live music, vinyl and cassette, it strikes you every time you hear that non-digital sound. Emotional? Perhaps, isn't that what music is all about too...?

Submitted by George a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
Well my good man, you paid for the LX-3, the same amount I paid for my 581Z. $10, MINT condition. Original box, and owners manual. Purchased at the Officers Wives Club Thrift Shop at McGuire Air Force Base. I can't help but think the husband and wife were getting divorced, he was out of the country, and SHE brought it in for sale. MY good fortune, is HIS tough luck.

As far as the LX-3, somebody left one ON MY DESK. Mint condition, absolutely free. I love this country.

Same day I got the 581z, I picked up a vintage 90wpc Sansui rcvr, at the same thrift shop, from the same owner. If it IS a divorce sale, he probably killed that woman. Sold the Sansui THAT afternoon for $125. original box, owners manual, and not a scratch on it.

Purchased At:   Not Purchased

Submitted by Dan Johnson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
Believe it - or not - I bought this for $10 at a Goodwill store. It was in about 95% condition. It was missing a cassette door but I made one out of acrylic that actually looks better than the stock one. After a good cleaning and a new door, it's now 100%. I was originally going to sell it but realised I would be stupid to do so!

This machine sounds better than any two-head machine I have ever heard - beating my old NAD by a whisker. It has dual-capstan drive and will play some tapes that I had given up for dead.

The way the head is designed, it is almost impossible for the head to have azimuth error. It uses a cage affair that pushes back the tapes pressure pad. Tension is maintained using the dual-capstan drive. Wow and flutter is extremely low. Frequency response is to 20K with all types of tapes. Dolby tracking is exceptionally good, especially with Dolby "C".

The reason so many tapes recorded on a good NAK sound "bad" when played back on other brands is because the alignment of NAK heads is so much better than on most other brands. The old myth that they use smaller track width than other brands is not true - there is a standard that must be met because of licensing requirement with Philips. If a tape made on a NAK sounds bad on your deck - check your deck - the heads are probably out of alignment!

One of the best cassette machines ever made, surpassed (by a tiny fraction) only by a few other NAKs and equalled by very few.

Purchased At:   Goodwill