Nakamichi BX-2 Tape Decks

1990-1992

Submitted by Eduard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
I had purchased BX-2 deck for $70 on eBay. And I like it. It sounds almost as good as my other deck, Onkyo Integra TA-2058, but its not fair to compare three head top of the line Integra with two head Nak. BX-2 sounds way better than Pioneer 704 with dolby S I had before. I do not miss dolby S at all. The problem with Pioneer was that it was dual well reverse deck. Don't buy those. Poor heads alignment yealds poor hights. Both decks I have are single well no reverse. As I said, I like this deck. Even I have great sounding tube headphone amplifier, sometimes I just like to listen directly from the deck. BX-2 has nice sounding variable headphone output, unlike Yves Simon mentiones, pitty is that Integra has no volume control. On the other hand, Integra has tape calibration and manual bias, so I can make better recordings on this one. But on playback, they are very close. Generaly I consider BX-2 a very good product for the money I paid.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Stan Pearlman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
Junk, not worth the price or cost of repairing

Submitted by Yves Simon a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
This Nakamichi Deck is very similar technically to other "2 heads" from Nakamichi (BX-2, DR-2, etc.). It has a top notch electronic, 3 motors, but 1 cabestan and 2 heads only (but the best).

Plus : Look, reliability (no troubles for 9 years !), extended frequency response, musicality, price (was around $400)
Minus : slow rewind, no Dolby S (was not invented in 1990), bass a little bit "light", no monitoring, headphone and main outputs fixed.

High End: