Marantz SD-455 Tape Decks

Dual Auto-Reverse Cassette Deck

Submitted by arif a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
good for the price

Submitted by Dev Alok a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought a cassette deck for the firt time in Aug'98. At first the Marantz SD455 worked fine and I was reasonably satisfied with it. However, about 3 months of normal use the deck started giving bursts of noise every few minutes. Within 4 months the burst of noise started coming every 10 seconds. I tried to clean the head but to no avail. I complained about this problem to Marantz and they gave me anonther SD455 unit. After few months I started having the same problem on the second unit. The burst of noise are not there in a new cassette deck but starts coming up after a mere few months of use. When I went again to Marantz with my problem, they told me to go to hell as one year has passed since my original purchase and they are no longer liable.

Now I am stuck with this noisy so called audiophile grade cassette deck for which I paid $200. I know the problem is not with my receiver as the CD player do not give any such noise. If anyone has encountered this problem and knows some kind of solution, please let me know.

FGH 26: