JVC HR-VP720U Tape Decks

Submitted by Mike Steeves a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 23, 1997

Bottom Line:
Actually this isn't about a Tape Deck, but about a VCR. So it's more of an audio/video matter than just audio.
I have owned this JVC HR VP720U Hi-Fi VCR for just over a year now and I've just decided to voice my complaints about it, to see if anyone else out there with this VCR concurrs. I really like all of the features this VCR had (Jog Shuttle Random Assemble Editing, Flying Erase Head Ultra Spec Drive, VCR+, Front & Back gold plated audio hookups, auto tracking, auto-slow rewind, . . and many various other features)
However, whenever I'm playing some (about half of) Dolby Surround, or Hi-Fi tapes I notice a very annoying crackling or buzzing sound every once in a while. Sometimes it gets so annoying I have to switch the VCR to play the tape in Normal, or Mono modes (which defeats the entire home theatre setup) to alleviate this problem. I thought it might have been because of dirt buildup, but I just got it completely serviced and to my dissmay, the problem persists.

Does anyone else out there own a JVC VCR and experience similar problems?
If so, please email me!

I like all the features of this VCR, and it looks terrific! If it weren't for the noise problems on Hi-Fi / Dolby Surr tapes (it's not the tapes either, they worked fine in 3 other Hi-Fi VCRs) I'd say it's one of the better VCRs out there. The editing capabilities are fantastic, and all of the features work flawlessly. Playback however, doesn't.

mike steeves v7q2@unb.ca