Denon DRM-740 Tape Decks

4.2/5 (15 Reviews)

Submitted by Brassjockel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2017

Bottom Line:
I own this deck since 1995 and it is still working!!
Absolute fine sound!

Submitted by zaxbws a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2010

Bottom Line:
Absolutely the biggest piece of junk I've ever purchased. Every tape I own squeals when attempting to be played. After years of frustration and absolutely no response from Denon, I finally just purchased a 20 year old Sansui deck for $15.00. Low and behold, every tape plays beautifully. I have no idea how Denon got their reputation for quality. The DRM-740 is a light weight piece of junk. Run, do not walk, away from Denon as fast as you can.

Submitted by Cosmic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
This has been a great tape deck, and I have no complaints. Very reliable. To this day my wife uses it to make great recordings. I definitely recommend it!

Submitted by vinocat a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've had two of these for nearly five years now. They are workhorses, and I concur with the others that older tapes made on other decks sound superb - as good or better than the originals! Tape handling is excellent, although the eject functionality could be better done (I *loved* the old Akai power loading and eject mechanism! Given that this deck almost always replaces another, a pitch control would have been a nice touch, but whatever...

Submitted by toshiba a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
Since purchasing this deck in 1997, I have not had a bit of trouble. Very full imaging in an analog way--sounding like cd's. This has been an excellent replacement for my 1984 model NAKIMICHI-BX125, which eventually wore out after two motor replacements.
This makes excellent recordings, best of all it plays back old tapes [made from LP or CD] & transfers to CD each with dynamic imaging better than the original sometimes will produce. Great deck for under $400.