Denon DRM-740 Tape Decks

4.14/5 (14 Reviews)

Submitted by zaxbws a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2010

Bottom Line:
Absolutely the biggest piece of junk I've ever purchased. Every tape I own squeals when attempting to be played. After years of frustration and absolutely no response from Denon, I finally just purchased a 20 year old Sansui deck for $15.00. Low and behold, every tape plays beautifully. I have no idea how Denon got their reputation for quality. The DRM-740 is a light weight piece of junk. Run, do not walk, away from Denon as fast as you can.

Submitted by Cosmic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
This has been a great tape deck, and I have no complaints. Very reliable. To this day my wife uses it to make great recordings. I definitely recommend it!

Submitted by vinocat a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've had two of these for nearly five years now. They are workhorses, and I concur with the others that older tapes made on other decks sound superb - as good or better than the originals! Tape handling is excellent, although the eject functionality could be better done (I *loved* the old Akai power loading and eject mechanism! Given that this deck almost always replaces another, a pitch control would have been a nice touch, but whatever...

Submitted by toshiba a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
Since purchasing this deck in 1997, I have not had a bit of trouble. Very full imaging in an analog way--sounding like cd's. This has been an excellent replacement for my 1984 model NAKIMICHI-BX125, which eventually wore out after two motor replacements.
This makes excellent recordings, best of all it plays back old tapes [made from LP or CD] & transfers to CD each with dynamic imaging better than the original sometimes will produce. Great deck for under $400.

Submitted by Jim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent recording deck. I shopped around and compared several decks I no longer remember. I did compare the denon with comparably priced Sonys. The library at the university where I work was using Denons at the time, and that's why I sought this one out. I rarely listen to prerecorded tapes because they sound so bad, but the tapes I make from CDs with this deck are outstanding. I defy my visitors to discriminate between source and tape, and they usually can't. FM and vinyl recordings can also be pretty good. I tape without dolby because the sound seems to me fuller and richer. This means that at low volumes I can sometimes hear tape hiss. With the dolby, the hiss is rarely audible. Highly recommended. Trouble free for about three years or so now. For a cassette deck, this one has outstanding sound--the best I heard during my search.

Sennheiser: