Denon DRM-30HX Tape Decks

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

3 Head dual capstan cassette deck

Submitted by cod a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2005

Bottom Line:
Wow thats for the price that i bought this thing for. I got it on Ebay and watched it whittle down for £15, untouched and bid in the last minute. When i received it this morning it was really tatty, described as, "As new", in the advert, but after a quick respray and touchup of the casing. And cleaning of the heads and demgging. WOW!, this thing sounds as good as the source. Its simply stunning value for how much i bought it for,let alone the product itself. I had a Technics RSb501 deck, and they tout that as a 3 head deck, its not. Its got auto reverse heads and a record head. But this thing wees all over it and drowns it. The eject on mine is like a catapult, and i thought that this was a sheap and nasty. I shut my mouth, as what you put in, whatever source.
you may even get better out.
this is Using a bog standard SA90 6 year old cassette. My B501 may have the facilities but you can never beat that sound quality, and thats what conts

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by mjarve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
I actually have a Denon DR-M34HR (presumably just a newer model numbering of the DR-M30HR). I purchased this deck as an impulse buy at a local pawn shop for the princely sum of $35.00. Now that I have used it, I would have been glad to pay 10 times that amount. This deck has everything I need, and no unessecary frills. Recordings are dead on from their source (be it DCC, DAT, CD, or even vinyl), and playback of pre-recorded tapes is excellent. I would like to have seen dBx noise reduction or Dolby S, but I suppose the deck is to old for the latter. Obviously designed for the long haul, the transport easily disassembles for easy tape head cleaning / alignment / demagnetizing. Transport noise is non-existent, and thanks to the dual power supplies (there are two, although they do share the same transformer), noise from the mechanical circuits being introduced into the audio circuits is not an issue.

The only real drwbacks of the deck (mostly a matter of personal preference) is the fact that the capstan drive motors run as long as the deck is powered up, even when no tape is loaded, and the back connector panel is poorly marked (raised black lettering on black background), and the jacks are placed too closely together to use the cables I want to use with it.

Purchased At:   Pawn Shop

Submitted by Jeff Weight a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this receiver back in 1987 so I could record cd's to listen to in my car. The fedelity from tapes recorded on it is increadible. The closest thing to cd quality sound I have found. Even my kids are amazed at how well tapes sound on this thing.

If you can find a used one buy it! If you can't don't ask me, mines not for sale.

Purchased At:   Audio Video Today

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 2, 1999

Bottom Line:
Like the reviewer below, I've had this deck a long time, since '87. When new. I had an independent technician fine-tune the azimuth to perfect specs, allowing pre-recorded tapes to sound their best.
Back to back comparison with a CD recorded and the source show very little degredation of response, really amazing!
This is a very fine, reliable deck and will remain in my main set-up for the foreseable future, even with the limited use it gets these days

Submitted by Michael Blanton a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 18, 1999

Bottom Line:
I've had this deck for almost ten years now and will probably have it for ten more. I remember the salesman recorded a cd track, then played the recording and the cd back simultaneously. I literally couldn't tell which was which, and this was all on a relatively high-end system. I've enjoyed the same performance ever since. About the only thing that I can audibly discern with recordings is that the imaging isn't as tight. This deck doesn't have adjustable sensitivity, but I strictly use Denon tapes which (obviously) match perfectly. I've had Alpine and Soundstream decks in my car, and the tapes made on this deck consistently played at full range--no alignment problems whatsoever. I've kept the heads and rollers clean with Intraclean, I recommend that product too. I don't use this deck as much now as my tapes have been replaced with CD-R's. But if I ever want to play my old recorded cassettes, the fidelity is still there. Denon has always had a reputation for making great cassette decks, and this is one of them.

CSB 1206 BLK: