AKAI GX-75MKII Tape Decks

4.4/5 (5 Reviews)

3-head, single deck with GX-heads and remote control

Submitted by Michael G. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
Very heavily built item with many useful functions, and when my deck was new it made recordings very close to the original, even sometimes on older cassettes. But after 3 or 4 years of (much) use the new recordings didn't sound like those in its first days. After about 5 years I had to correct the azimuth for playback for the first time (recordings I made already with my Denon deck at that time). I was a little bit disappointed about that, expected a much longer lifetime of proper record/playback sound quality with such an expensive deck. And this short lifetime of proper record and playback function with my deck is the only reason why I cannot give the full 5 points rating. I used this deck between 1991 and 1997, later as my secondary deck. Two months ago I sold it (it was not used the last 3 years), it still worked fine except the recording quality.

Submitted by The Rambler a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
All the mechanism with this deck is excellent, very smooth and silent (even better than TEAC8030S).Recordings and playback also remarkable. Vow and flutter not audible, even tape hiss pretty low. Unfortunately no more such good qality machines are made, have it one; even to sit and watch it is a great pleasure.

Submitted by ural durusu a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
I like it even if I have electronic problem with the deck (2 months ago I have replaced the mecha block) I love it. If I have the opprtunity to find another MK75II reference master I buy it immediately.

Submitted by Florin Penciu a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 20, 1999

Bottom Line:
I owned this gorgeous deck in '92-'93.Here is my opinion about it.This is THE most beautiful piece of equipment I have ever owned and certainly one of the most beautiful out there! The construction exudes quality,and the beautiful big blue meter adds to this impression.Mechanichally it's beyond repproach,metal made(21 lbs.)and everything else looked whimpy in comparison.
Its head is GX-head,specifically designed to last well beyond the next millenium
(unlimited warranty for GX head)!I bought it in '92 from Germany,paying 1,000DM
(aprox.$550-600).
Sound quality:detailed and clean.Absolutely no hiss audible.With or without its calibration system in use,however,I could not make copies with inaudible or barely audible differences of the original.An upper level Technics could make copies closer to the original than my deck, albeit the hiss was higher on the Technics.My deck also sounded more hi-fi'sh in character as opposed to the warmer and round character of the Technics.Disappointed,I sold my deck.
Now,given the fact that even the most performant cass. decks are flawed because of the problems associated with the tape, if I find a new Akai deck GX 75 MKII
I'll buy it for its built quality and satisfactory sound for a cass. deck.
Anyway,I especially liked the Akai GX 95 MKII similar with mine but with additional beautiful woodside panels.4 stars for sound quality and 5 stars for build quality.

Submitted by Florin Penciu a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 20, 1999

(unlimited warranty for GX head)!I bought it in '92 from Germany,paying 1,000DM
(aprox.$550-600).
I'll buy it for its built quality and satisfactory sound for a cass. deck.

CSB 1206 BLK: