Richard Gray s Power Company Model 400S/15A Power Conditioners

4.53/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $700.00

Power conditioner

Submitted by Stringreen a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2006

Bottom Line:
After reading so many good reviews for this product, I went out and got it. The moment I plugged everything into it, I knew I threw my money away. The soundstage collapsed, the clean highs were now gritty, the dynamics were constricted, etc. I spoke to John at Audio Connection who said they take a long time to "break in". I sat on this stuff for months, and the sound did change, but still, it was a step backwards by plugging all my conponents ito it. I tried various combinations with the power amp by-passing the RPG, but nothing helped. The best sound I felt I could get from using the RPG's was not plugging ANYTHING into it - just plugging it into the wall by itself. Surely it didn't work for me.

Purchased At:   Audio Connection

Submitted by mjaudio a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have to admit that I have tried a number of different power conditioners prior to buying a RGPC 1200 and never really noticed a difference either way. I was using them mainly to protect my components from surges and spikes but felt they never really improved anything. The PC's I used prior to the RGPC included some well regarded units like API Powerwedge, Tice, Audio Magic and another one that was well reviewed in Stereophile.

When I heard that the RGPC's were non-current limiting I decided to take the plunge and get the large 1200 to accomadate all my components. The main improvement I noticed was that my system sounded consistently good. Before there were certain times in the day when either the audio and or the video was not as good as I was used to. I figured hey, it actually does make a slight improvement but not what I was hoping for based on all the rave reviews.

Then I made a big mistake..........
I wanted to free up some shelf space so I decided to go back to my API Power Wedge as it sat on the floor behind my components, not on the shelf like the RGPC 1200 does. I was able to quickly sell my RGPC 1200 and went on vacation so my system sat idle for a week.

When I returned we popped in a movie and the bass was all over the place. I thought something was wrong as it sounded more like a Honda Civic filled with 4 15" radio shack subs then the tight powerful bass I was used to. The house was empty for the entire week so I know no one messed with my settings and I even confirmed this with my Meridian software that was saved in my laptop. The levels were all the same on the subs so I had to recalibrate but it still didn't sound the same. The tight dynamic clean sound I was used to was replaced with a system I could not enjoy at all.

I racked my brain to figure out what had happened then thought, it couldn't be the RGPC 1200?

The 1200 is basically 2 400s in a sigle chasis with more outlets so I went to my dealer to pick up 2 400s and find out if that was the missing piece. After adding the 2 400s and taking out the API things started to get better. I used my laptop to reload my previous configuration back into my Meridian pre-amp and there it was, my clean dynamic sound was back!

I have owned a lot of high end components from Proceed, Meridian, Theta, Thiel, Krell, EAD and a lot of others. When I added a EAD PM 2000 amp it really added another level but I have never had a component that made such a dramatic difference once it was removed. I am now a believer in the Richard Gray PC's.

Purchased At:   Local Dealer

Submitted by cwd a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2004

Bottom Line:
The RGPC 400 MKII really works. I stewed over buying one for 4 months, but it seemed like I should be getting more out of my system (Rotel RSP-1068/Outlaw Audio 755 amp/Denon DVD-2200 universal player/Paradigm speakers and PW-2200 sub) and I'd noticed the performance seemed inconsistent. Some days wonderful, other days not as good. Power appeared to be the only variable in play.

The improvement is very noticeable. The power and pitch definition of bass is improved. More details come out of every CD/DVD/DVD-A/SACD I play. Soundstage has improved, especially for surround sound. The gaps between the speakers are gone.

HDTV is a bit improved. Black is definitely black and very stable. Haven't done any serious movie watching to really look for differences.

Purchased At:   Barretts Home Theate

Submitted by Jerry Lincoln a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
To those who wonder why Scull and Stereophile gave such a lousy review.....
he works for Monster Cable now. Don't you think he knew he was leaving Stereophile at that time. Kill the competition. Creep.

Submitted by James Tang a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
I own 2 RGPC 400s, and have used them for 2 years. All I can say is they are awesome. It makes sound cleaner, and the soundstage becomes larger. I compared it to Monster HTS2000 and PS Audio P300. RGPC is much better than HTS 2000, and around 90% of P300 performance. However, P300 costs $1,200 (MSRP) and only supplies 300W. RGPC 400 costs $750, and provides at least 1800W. I actually changed the fuse to 20 amp based on Richard's advise on the phone. You can do without lossing your warrantee (Richard told me this on the phone).

The most sonic improvement of this unit is the dynamics. It sounds like providing clean energy to my audio system. Bass is more solid. I also hook up my P300 to RGPC, and it sounds a bit better with it for my digital sources, preamp, and pre/pro. RGPC not only enhances audio but also video. The image on TV is sharper. The dealer told me the unit was originally designed for video, and people fund it is good for audio.

RGPC is built like a tank. It is very solid. I guess it can last 20 years easily. RGPC is sensitive to power cord hooked up to it. Be sure you use a decent power cord. I have no idea why Stereophile dumped this excellent device. Maybe the people in Stereophile do not know how to use, or they are deaf. I highly recommend RGPC 400 without any reservation.

Award-Winning Axiom: