Monster Cable Reference PowerCenter HTS3500 Power Conditioners

Line Conditioner. High sensitivity voltage meter. 6 unswitched outlets for components that require constant current. 2 switched outlets. 2 switched/timed outlets for sequenced power turn-on. $100,000 connected equipment protection and limited lifetime warranty.

Submitted by Super88 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2006

Bottom Line:
This is an audio performance based review. I had been previously using an Adcom ACE 515 AC conditioner on my source components, and while this provided some protection, I did not really notice an audible sound improvement. I spin records and SACDs mostly, and listen often. I was simply astounded by the increase of audio definition with the introduction of the Monster. **One thing I have always noticed with my system is that it sounded WAY better late at night- now it sounds better than it did at 3 a.m., all the time. I have dedicated 20 amp 10 guage circuits to my audio system and this alone made a huge improvment- +3 volts on system startup with only an around 30' run from the breaker panel. With the Monster, I noticed a greater improvment than even this yeilded- a bigger soundstage, better seperation of instruments, better dynamics and a quieter backdrop. Overall, a less constricted and confused presentation, and most of all a more enjoyable listening experience.

My speakers are Magnepan IIIAs- very touchy when it comes to anything upstream. I noticed a lot more air and even FASTER sound than before. The ribbons now have even more finesse. I would have to say that the the HTS 3500 II provided a more substantial improvement than a moderate component upgrade. I never knew just how much filth there was on my power lines.

Ok, here are the few (minor, compared to it's benefits) things about the unit that could be improved. When I recieved my unit, its internal voltage meter read low- about one volt as compared to a good multimeter (Amprobe) I tested the line with. Easily calibrated though. The LEDs on the front panel are a little bright, but still look good. The critical connections inside are crimped terminals, and should be directly soldered IMO to provide maximum transfer and avoid corrosion. I pro- golded all the terminals. The main power routing could be point- to- point wiring instead of PCB traces, but the traces are pretty thick, and of course the unit had to meet a price point. The 3500 would not support my high current amp, and I certainly wouldn't ask it to in it's price range.

My amp, btw is a Counterpoint SA-220 hybrid, and works best powered straight from the wall. It just bogs the unit down too much. If there was a reasonably priced stand- alone high power filter or isolation transformer, I would give it a try on the amp.

The HTS 3500 mk. II made a huge improvement to my system, looks right at home with high- end components with it's black/ brushed aluminum front panel and illuminated meter, and exceeded my expectations. Marsh and the gang really know their stuff. I would highly recommend this unit to audiophiles looking to get rid of all that grunge in your AC line.

Purchased At:   Parts Express

Submitted by will_be_was a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2006

Bottom Line:
This is a great product for what it does. I stopped reading the reviews of others after 30. Personally I like this unit. I have used an older Panamax in the past but just for a surge protector. I bought mine on ebay for $150. I'm not sure if it's a newer one or not. It's a HTS3500 mkll. With my sound sytem this unit works great. I've always thought the mixture of my components made for a 'bright' sound. Probably from my Paradigm monitors. I should have got silk dome tweeters. Anyway, as soon as I plugged in the 3500 it produced a wonderful, full sound. Deep rich base, fine smooth highs.
It will NOT get rid of a gound loop 60 cycle hum. Not a hope. I have two Adcom amps. A GFA-5500 and a 5503 with wicked hum. They both come with the third ground prong. Great if you live in the country for lightning but useless for anything else. Easy fix to anyone with a hum problem is to bypass the ground plug and your good to go. You HAVE to use a surge protector so you don't need this extra ground anyway. My Carver MTF-45 never hummed pluged into the same outlet
The Monster blew me away with super fine video picture. Awesome! I'll have to use this from now on. Problem is I need two for the two TV's I have. All you people who hate your 3500 mxll's email me and I'll take one off your hands.

Submitted by JeffreyDurbin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2005

Bottom Line:
People will claim it does all kinds of magical things to their soundstage or that the video is sooooo much better because of it. Nonsense! It can't do those things.

It can do what it is supposed to do however. I bought it so I could use the remote for my pre-amp to turn on all the other equipment by using the 12v trigger from the pre-amp to the power center. (My amp doesn't have 12v trigger capability.) I also wanted a surge protector. Finally, I thought it looked cool and for 60% off retail I decided it was actually priced appropriately considering how horribly overpriced Monster stuff is at retail.

When I was wiring everything together in my cabinet, I forgot to plug in my subwoofer to the Power Center. I decided to plug it into a wall outlet. When I was leaning over the subwoofer, after I plugged it in, I noticed a faint hum. I could only hear it when I was within 2 feet of the sub and when everything else was turned off. (It was probably a ground hum.) I decided to go to the hassle of pulling my stereo cabinet away from the wall and feeding the plug through the back and into the Power Center and the hum went away. Would I have been able to hear the hum 14 feet away at my listening position? Of course not. But, the Monster equipment did what it claims it does. It made the hum go away.

One final comment. It is a glorified surge protector. If will protect your equipment from spikes and surges. It will NOT protect your equipment from brown-outs or power 'sags'. If you have real electricity reliability problems look elsewhere.

If you can get this stuff for at least 50% off retail then go for it. Otherwise, buy one of the other brands. They're frequently heavily discounted.

This stuff is not magic. It's not going to make you more handsome or smarter. But, it can be a worthwhile addition to your system if it's discounted and if you don't drink the Kool-Aid and believe it is the be-all and end-all.

MY VALUE RATING BELOW IS BASED ON THE DISCOUNTED PRICE AND NOT RETAIL. AT RETAIL, IT'S JUNK.

Purchased At:   Beach Audio (online)

Submitted by Zkidd a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2005

Bottom Line:
I see that there are several reviews listed here about this product. I will start by stating that I am not a fan of power conditioners for the most part. I have used some on the front end of my stereo (2 channel) system with mixed results. That being said, I did want to see what effects a power conditioner would have on the home theater system. I will also add the caveat that I have not spent nearly as much on the home theater system that I have on the stereo, as I prefer to listen to music rather than movies, at least, most of the time.

Okay, the disclaimers are out of the way. So, I buy a Monster HTS3500 Mk. II and take it home. Out of the box it comes, the home theater system gets all plugged into it as well as the TV (44 in. Toshiba) and I put in MASTER AND COMMANDER - FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD...insert dropping jaw image here...I watch the movie without moving. In goes another DVD, then another, then another. In the immortal words of Ray Raymano's TV dad, "Holy Crap!". This piece of gear is great! Blacks are blacker, images crisper, as if I added several hundred more lines of resolution on the TV. The wife is impressed, and that is not easy to do! The future son-in-law comes over and he cannot believe the difference! He believes that the TV is different in some way, that I got a new one that looks like the old but is newer in some technology that has changed the picture. The surround sound is excellent, with better definition and bass. Voice is cleaner, more focused.

All in all, I was left with jaw hanging open, and stunned at the difference. I cannot speak for the effects the Monster would have on two channel stereo, and I imagine that if you have a bazillion dollar system, it might not "float your boat". But! If you have a $3000 or so home theater system, or perhaps are new to the high end in music and your gear is sounding a little less than you'd like, I would honestly recommend you try one of these. Being a skeptic on power conditioners, I cannot impress upon anyone reading this how much this Monster HTS3500 is making me rethink my policy on that.

Purchased At:   Hawthorne Stereo

Submitted by mrfixit266 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2004

Bottom Line:
Very good product. Monster seems to always have good product. Yes everyone is right, your paying for a name so get over it. Like you didnt buy the name on all of your other equipment. With a good name comes good quality. The one problem I have is that the remote ac hookup is not designed properly. I hook up my reciever (Marantz SR7400) to the a/v reciver plug, turn on the remote and that pretty much end any power to the reciever after turning the reciver off due to the fact that the plug on the back of the power center is a switched outlet. Switched outlet to switched outlet = no power. Not a big deal but why bother putting on the unit if it doesnt work. feel free to email me with any comments about this. Maybe and I mean just maybe I am having a brain fart and not hooking it up right.

Purchased At:   Distribution