Yamaha MCR E150 Mini Systems

4.14/5 (14 Reviews)

Yamaha's PianoCraft MCR-E150 micro-component-styled system consists of a central console containing the receiver and slide-loading single disc CD player plus a pair of speakers. Small in size and elegant in design, the CRX-E150 does not skimp on performance. It provides 25 watts per channel to the speakers. Reflecting its audiophile heritage, the receiver features Yamaha's high dynamic power, low impedance drive capability and linear damping circuit. The CD player also handles CD Text and can read CD-Rs and CD-R/Ws.

Submitted by seunity a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
As my life changed with a lot of moving, I had to sell my beloved stereo system too. Now that I´ve settled down for a while, I needed something to start over. When my dearest friend presented this Yamaha MCR-E150 system as a gift for me, I was delighted to get something for listening music again.

I knew beforehands from various reviews the Yamaha´s PianoCraft series to have good quality components and a great sound. I also knew that the mini speakers wouldn´t be able to reproduce the lowest bass and was prepared to get a decent subwoofer to cover that.

But no matter how prepared I was and how high my expectations were, I was totally blown away. The sound was simply stunning. I have never heard better sound from such a tiny package. And I have hardly heard better sound from normal size, quality separates either. My last stereo system had no frills, good separates, modified as much as possible. The sound from that system made some of my friends to invest on higher priced (almost) audiophile gear, to try to get the same kind of enjoyable music experiences as from my stereos.

And now here´s this micro system whose sound still simply amazes me everytime I play some music on it. I´m certainly not claiming that this Yamaha would beat any really good separate system, not to even mention the higher end gear. But it definitely just drowns any competition on the usual so called Hi-Fi market. As for the other mini, midi and micro systems out there, well ok...we can forget those now and forever, except likely the other PianoCraft series systems.

The sound is warm, but with enough treble sparkle so that it won´t get muddy or out of balance. At first the treble appeared to be kinda suppressed. But then after some hours of continuous playing, and especially after I really opened up the volume for a while, it cleared and got into balance. While the highs tingle nicely, the mids just are there. And there they are, in a good way. Not obtrusing, not lacking nor honking upfront. The bass department was one of the big surprises on this one. For about 13 years I had been accustomed to hearing lows down to 35 Hz. Quite big lows also, when needed and applied. For sure this system, or more specifically these speakers won´t go that low. Or have that authoritative force on bass either. But other than that, there´s certainly plenty of bass coming out of this wonderbox. Very nice bass also, having enough body and force to totally belie the size of these speakers. The basslines are easy to follow too, it won´t get mushy or boomy.

As for all the features, you can check the manufacturer´s site or various reviews given. Stylistically MCR-E150 system looks simple and simply classy. Only the most crucial switches and knobs are present on the front panel of the CRX-E150 amplifier/tuner/cd-player combo. That gives an uncluttered, good looking visual image to this unit. The switches and potentiometers also feel sturdy, giving a reliable feel when used. Every other function is found on the remote, which on itself is basic but works good. Special note has to be said about the working range of the remote. While the manual recommends pointing it within 60 degree area from the front panel, in real life I can point it basically into any direction I want to in the same room and it still works. The remote doesn´t have a mute button, but the volume control works fast and there´s always the stand-by button also.

There´s three pairs of line-level inputs and two pairs of line outputs on the back of the amplifier, along with the optical digital output. A separate subwoofer output is also provided, so it´s a cinch to connect some bass box into this. The speaker terminals are sturdy and accept also banana connectors, as will the terminals on the speakers too.

The CD-tray feels even surprisingly steady and strong, compared to many higher priced player´s flimsy trays. Some people have complained the cd-player to be noisy while playing. Maybe they had faulty units, mine is dead silent when playing. Only by turning the volume down to zero and getting really close to the closed tray, I can hear the silent whirring. The player however DOES make noises whenever the cd is inserted, the songs are jumped to and from manually or when the preprogrammed song is changing into an another. In everyday use that is certainly ok and I haven´t never even heard totally silent cd-players in this regard.

The NX-E150 speakers are a perfect companion to the CRX-E150 main unit, completing the MCR-E150 package. I have the cherry oak finish on my speakers instead of the black gloss. I like this finish better, it´s easy on the eyes and easier to keep clean too. The speaker elements are bolted to the front baffle sturdily and overall, the good quality of the whole system carries on to these as well. The terminals will accept bigger cables and banana connectors too.

Purchased At:   N/A

Submitted by joris101 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
Excellent system with incredible sound at all ranges. Yamaha always has had its own sound at it has to suit your taste. I always find the sound dark and a bit edgy which I like. I am happy with bass performance, but might add a subwoofer later. Lack of base perceived by some listeners is due to small size of speakers, not a technical limitation. Speakers are amazing quality for a packaged set.

Submitted by Matt a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
I was looking for something small for my bedroom with better sound than a boombox, more to create ambiance than for careful in-front listening.

I actually intended to purchase a cheaper unit, but was disappointed with it when I tested it in the store.

I bought the MCR 150 because it is small and unobtrusive, has great sound, is easy to use in the dark, and doesn't have any distracting flashing or bright lights.

The sound is fantastic, the build is superb, and the controls are nicely designed. It's a pleasure to use.

You'll like it, but I have two caveats.

First, the included speaker cables sound horrible. I swapped in some old monster cable that I had in my closter. It really cut the noise dramatically and brought out the bass. Be sure to pick up some decent (nothing fancy) speaker wire when you get this if you don't have any sitting around.

Second, the cd player mechanism is noisy while playing but I live in a city apartment, so it doesn't bother me. Check the return policy if you are really picky and will be listening in a quiet space.

Otherwise, it's a great mini system. I like that it has connectors for other components. I don't need it now, but I'll be holding on to it for a long time so they may come in handy.

You'll like it.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by 1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
I'm using this thing for 4 months and the sound is realy very good-neutral, dynamic, powerful. CD player is a little noisy, but just a little.Very good piano-finished speakers sound like mini stoudio monitors.

Purchased At:   Media Markt

Submitted by cskofield a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
This mini-system has several good points but one very serious problem: the CD player makes an unacceptable amount of humming noise while in operation. This noise may not be noticed at moderate levels, especially if the music involves multiple instruments, but as soon as the music becomes quieter, especially in works for solo piano or voice, the humming greatly interferes with the music. The noise was noticed even at 15-20 feet away.

Purchased At:   Best Buy