Yamaha GX-70 Mini Systems

4.27/5 (22 Reviews)

Submitted by E a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2016

Bottom Line:
I was looking for information on the Yamaha GX-70 that I've been using as my primary Home Audio system (Games, Movies, Music, Radio, CDs and Cassettes) since I bought it in 1999. Back in the day, I paid close to $1000 (cdn) for it brand new at the time. It was an upgrade from a terrible LP/Cassette deck. The big selling point on this machine was that it was 'upgradeable' w/ a subwoofer and had plenty of RCA jacks for additional equipment. A year after I bought this system, I bought a Yamaha subwoofer to boost the system. This is by far one of the best (and longest lasting) products I have ever owned. It continues to be a fantastic workhorse).

I have used this system as my primary Home entertainment audio system in my living room for approximately 17 years! The CD player started malfunctioning in 2013 and one of the tape decks became jammed, so I finally brought them into a repair shop and had them fixed for about $100 in 2015.

Unfortunately, once I picked up a PS4 I had an issue; the GX-70 does not have a digital input for toslink cables...because it's almost two decades old! Nevertheless, I picked up a Schiit Audio Magni 2 to connect the PS4's toslink cable and downgrade the signal to RCA cables for full Dolby 2.1 on the Yamaha...worked like a charm and is pretty sweet! We now watch movies on Blu-ray and Netflix with great surround sound...not as good as 5.1 or 7.1 but good enough.

Some might think I am a luddite but I find this little system has been quite the performer. Over time. This little guy has helped me save money by avoiding the constant need to upgrade although I can feel the pull of 5.1 or 7.1 but I am holding out a little longer to pick the best one. I feel that the two main speakers have lost some of their power but the system keeps on chugging along. I can highly recommend this system to anyone on a budget or purusing garage sales looking for a great little surround sound/radio/CD/cassette deck mini system.

Pro-tip: you can plug your ipod by picking up a simple RCA to 3.5mm (Female) cord (which I did several years ago) and boom; you're set for playing back mp3s.

Submitted by A.J. Mesiti a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
All my friends have similar minisytems, but none compare to this one. The sound stays great even when I pump up the volume. It records great onto tapes. Unbelievable CD and radio sound. It looks great in my room I dred the day when I have to trade it in.

Submitted by John Walkton a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 22, 1999

Bottom Line:
The GX-70 is perfect for those short on space. I bought mine nearly 3 years ago yet I am still happy with it. Why? Because it has aged gracefully, out-sounding most of the newer systems released by Aiwa/Sony/JVC/Onkyo/Denon. When I bought it, the system was brand new and price was high. I have to say that I've gotten my money's worth, though. The front channels are clearly in a class of their own. I've heard people say that yamaha systems are better for home theater than for music...if that indeed is the case, the GX-70 is a HUGE exception. Its ability to play music is unparalleled. The small surround and center speakers are average within this class. At least they look nice. ;-)

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 25, 1999

Bottom Line:
cool system, get it

Submitted by Matthew a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 4, 1999

Bottom Line:
I paid $100.60 for the floor model of my local Best Buy, they had it on sale for $199.95. I am very pleased with my purchase, it is a solid performer and delivers good sound. It does lack bass, but for the price I'll buy a subwoofer to correct that. In this price range many mini-systems are designed to appeal to 17 year olds who measure quality by how many garish lights and gimmicks a stereo has. This unit while not lacking for buttons is not garish and thankfully not silver. I would highly recommend the GX-70 to other casual listeners looking for a small, quality bookshelf system.

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener