Yamaha GX-70 Mini Systems

4.24/5 (21 Reviews)

Submitted by A.J. Mesiti a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
All my friends have similar minisytems, but none compare to this one. The sound stays great even when I pump up the volume. It records great onto tapes. Unbelievable CD and radio sound. It looks great in my room I dred the day when I have to trade it in.

Submitted by John Walkton a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 22, 1999

Bottom Line:
The GX-70 is perfect for those short on space. I bought mine nearly 3 years ago yet I am still happy with it. Why? Because it has aged gracefully, out-sounding most of the newer systems released by Aiwa/Sony/JVC/Onkyo/Denon. When I bought it, the system was brand new and price was high. I have to say that I've gotten my money's worth, though. The front channels are clearly in a class of their own. I've heard people say that yamaha systems are better for home theater than for music...if that indeed is the case, the GX-70 is a HUGE exception. Its ability to play music is unparalleled. The small surround and center speakers are average within this class. At least they look nice. ;-)

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 25, 1999

Bottom Line:
cool system, get it

Submitted by Matthew a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 4, 1999

Bottom Line:
I paid $100.60 for the floor model of my local Best Buy, they had it on sale for $199.95. I am very pleased with my purchase, it is a solid performer and delivers good sound. It does lack bass, but for the price I'll buy a subwoofer to correct that. In this price range many mini-systems are designed to appeal to 17 year olds who measure quality by how many garish lights and gimmicks a stereo has. This unit while not lacking for buttons is not garish and thankfully not silver. I would highly recommend the GX-70 to other casual listeners looking for a small, quality bookshelf system.

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener

Submitted by J. Herman a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 1, 1999

Bottom Line:
Now that Yamaha has discontinued this model, in favor of the GX-500, I grabbed up a Best Buy floor model for $225. I found the attention to the tape deck an attractive feature - dolby b, syncronized cd-to-tape feature, high speed dubbing (tape decks often are the weak link in mini-systems, from what I've read). The new GX-500 is just a stereo model, not home theatre, with a bit more power (75 watts per channel), but it sells for $400. Like many of my predecessors here, I think the bass on the GX-70 is a bit weak, but classical music, for example, sounds wonderful. If you can find this model for a good price, and then add a sub-woofer for another $100, it's a great combo for a good value.

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener