TEAC Reference 100 series Mini Systems

4.63/5 (24 Reviews)

Micro System

Submitted by peter garcia a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
I'd said it is well worth every penny I spent on it. Also the best bookshelf ysytem, especially considering the price. the sound is flawless(for such small speakers).

Purchased At:   J&R

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent system for a small room or apartment (around 600 sq. ft.). It will easily fill the area with clear, defined sound. Unlike some other reviewers I did not have a problem with the remote control or the lack of mid-range sound. My only concern is that the bass could be better, but it's adequate when you condsider that this is a small woofer.

Purchased At:   The Wiz

Submitted by serg a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
it's the best sounding mini for the price.
separation, soundstage, involving...

Submitted by timpo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
I was looking for an unobtrusive cd/radio for my office,not one of the shelf systems that look like miniature pin ball machines with garish flashing lights and constructed mostly of plastic when I ran across this item on ubid.I read the reviews here and went to the teac site and placed a low bid in the wee hours of the AM.I also acquired the rtr 80 watt sub at the same time.This combination sits practically invisible on my bookshelf and is better than I had hoped for.Within the week,co-workers had purchased an additional 3 units[refurbished]Excellent unit

Purchased At:   ubid

Submitted by bucdos a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is for the Reference 100, CRH-100. I did a lot of browsing and comparing to replace my old & crappy JVC box for my bedroom. I'm not an audiophile, but wanted a solid, good-sounding product in the $200-300 range. I spent weeks looking at stores and all over this site, comparing products and reading reviews. Just as I was about to resign myself to spending more for an over-priced Yamaha or Onkyo, I stumbled on the rave reviews for the TEAC Ref 100. Everyone spoke so highly of this unit I just went and bought it the next day. THANK YOU, EVERYONE. Your insights really helped, and the reviews for this sweet unit are on the money. It easily fills a large bedroom with great sound- at normal levels the high are crisp, the bass is solid, and it has wonderful separation. I like the sleek look and the solid, well-built feel; the buttons on the face are satisfying to use. It also has lots of nice extra features (I love the timer- now I can throw out my alarm clock, too).

It's truly hard to find major bad points to say about this unit, I'll just present some minor quibbles. The remote could be more convenient to use. It has only a 2-band EQ, the bass gets muddy at higher volumes, and unless I am going stupid, my unit does NOT have a subwoofer line-out. Weird. I probably also paid too much, as I bought it online (and had to pay for shipping) rather than picking up a similar, cheaper, unit at Costco like most people did. But without a car or Costco membership, I just had to get my hands on this thing one way or another...

Purchased At:   J&R Online