Sony MHC-MC1 Mini Hi-Fi Component System Mini Systems

4.45/5 (11 Reviews)

Submitted by Daniel Santos a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
This system is great! I'm a teen so I like to play the music loud. The system has awesome bass and the 50+1 CD changer makes it even better. Whether it be high or low the speakers always sound clear and all this sound with only 160-watts.

Submitted by Adam a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a great cd system, I've used it for about a year now. I mostly just plug in my headphones to the jack, but every once in awhile after a test I'll blast it. It has a nice, digital, volume and tuner wheel. It also has specialized memory for blocking out entire tracks that you just don't want to hear (!!)

One quibble: I can't find my instruction manual anymore!! If anyone can point me to one, please email apsears2002@hotmail.com

I've found one CD which the system automatically reads text off of: The Episode 1 soundtrack. It's tres cool!

Submitted by Arthur Lorangrer Jr. a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
This system was a great deal at MSRP OF $300. Sold at most stores for around $249.95. This unit can now be had for $149.95 at end of model year sale at many places that still have stock on them. At that price is's in a league of it's own

Purchased At:   Bernies

Submitted by Dave a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
great stereo along with the ample cd storage i use it along with my tv and i get, in most cases, theater quality sound.

Purchased At:   brynmawr(now tweeter)

Submitted by Sauri Gudlavalleti a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
The system I am reviewing here is Sony MHC-M100, which is Sony's year 2000 version of the MHC-MC1. I bought it from crutchfield at $250 and I think it's great value for it's price. The sound quality is great, and the 51 CD changer is very nice, you'll end up listening to lots of CD's that you don't normally listen to just because you can just put them in for ever.
The sound is really crisp, and the bass is great, it's never jarring or booming.
I've listed the weaknesses above, and I think those are the reasons for the low price of the system.
So for someone looking for great, clear, crisp, LOUD sound, this is a great choice. If you're too lazy to wake up and go to the system all the time, don't get it, because the remote is just basic, like an 80's VCR.
I did find one problem with the sound though. While playing some CD's with heavy base, I thought I felt something rattle inside, like the plastic wire-feedthrough jacket. I also felt the frames of one of the tweeters shake a little (the noise reduced on holding it).
I have listened to the MHC-MC1 (the earlier version) which is available still at a few places for $300, and I think that's better.
One more thing, Crutchfiend's website says that the unit they tested could play CD-RW's also, but mine doesn't.

FGH 26: