Sony DHC-MDX10 MiniDisc Mini System Mini Systems

4.17/5 (12 Reviews)

Submitted by DoMn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
I think this is one of the best sound systems I've ever heard. It is easy to use and the sound is great! Other then other reviewers I didn't have a single problem, not for 3 years. It has a very clear sound and the bass is awesome.

Purchased At:   1999

Submitted by villeh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
(Price Paid 670 euros)

purchased dhc-mdx10 to my sister for chrismas but i'd used it myself for about 1,5 years.. sounds quite good as mini-system, but theres a lack of low bass.. mid-bass still sounds powerful, becouse sony engineers had used thousands of hours to ruin original sounds, so that casual listeners think it sounds better than others..

Submitted by Hubert a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
After carrying a near 75 pounds weighing box home with a friend of mine, I of course was delighted to install my new stereo, and it shook our house well for 3 months. I've got over 200 audio tapes, and MD was the ideal medium to store them on. But my ears sensed that tapedeck B was playing slower than deck A. No problem, with the 1 year manufacturer's warranty, it would be repaired for free. When it was brought after 2 months back I was just as enthousiastic as the day I bought it. But after a comparison of tapedeck B with deck A, my walkman and the downstairs tapedecks I found out the same malfunction was still there. I called Sony, and they 'repaired' it again (another 2 months). And the same story: it was still malfunctioning, even a replacement with a totally different serial number had the same malfunction! I went CRAZY! How could such a high-tech cream of the crop apparatus keep on malfunctioning, even after replacement?? Finally after 8 months of guarantee, 2 repairs and one replacement I decided I wanted my money back. And after 2 weeks of Sony-rule-hunting I got back my $349,-. Now I'm glad I still kept my good old Nikkei NMA-400P in the cupboard 'for just in case'. This thing has stamina, which Sony's DHC-MDX10 lacks!!! I'm glad I don't have it anymore!

Purchased At:   Graus Audio Video, Maastricht

Submitted by Kenneth Kim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is just an addition to my previous review. I've had this stereo for about 2 years now, and everything is still working great. However, I haven't used the tape decks at all, so I can't comment about that. The speakers are still great and the bass is still clean and strong. However, I've connected a Yamaha YST-SW 160, and an AR S-112 subwoofer to the stereo and noticed that I had to raise the volume on both of these subwoofers to get a decent volume. The reason is probably due to the small sub output of only 1.0 V. Other then the fore mentioned problem, the stereo is great, and i expect another 2 years out of it.

Purchased At:   AAFES (Seoul, Korea)

Submitted by johan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
Because I wanted an MD-player, and all my other equipment was old, and didn't want to spent a lot of money, I bought the sony because I could get a serious reduction on the Price. Now after using it for almost a year I've noticed some things that bother me, for example: the tuner is not sensitive enough,also the tape decks sound bad: for that reason it would have been nice if there was an analogue out so I could use my Onkyo.
MD editing is easy / recording to MD is very easy when you use the CD-MD sync function => MD functions are complete, you have also a Digital rec.level control

In general I must say for the price I've paid for it is a good system, I also knew that you can not aspect high end quality from a Mini system. Johan De Vos

Purchased At:   local electronics store