Sony DHC-MD555 Desktop Hi-Fi System Mini Systems

4.25/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $800.00

Submitted by n/a n/a a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is the first shelf system I've owned. I've owned it about 8 months and record at least four minidiscs/day, five days/week. I purchased it for the relay recording feature but have come to love it for the features. The quality of the minidisc recordings is the equal of a portable and shelf model I use. I use it mostly to time shift radio programs, transfer converted mp3 files from cdr and rw to minidisc and record NPR programs directly from computer via an rca patch cord. If relay recording on minidisc is something you would find useful I know of no better way than the 555 unless you buy an MDLP and find a way to timer record. It can be set to record once at a given time, daily, weekly or programmed to record up to five different times. Great if you're busy and not around the house much. My only concern is long term reliability. The elevator mechanism that is used for minidisc is a Rube Goldberg-like contraption but so far so good. The price has dropped another 50 bucks since I purchased this. It can be had for about 300 bucks from Crutchfield. The speakers that come with this are pretty bad. Boomy, muddled highs, ultra cheap construction. Replace them with a pair of Atoms and a sub or something similar.

Submitted by Bob Jones a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
THere is a reason crutchfield is now selling this system for 350, instead of its 800 MSRP. It sounds horrible. I am not quite sure what sony did, but this one is a loser. First off the speakers that come with the system are just plain junk. But I figured that replacing them would do the trick. Wrong. The system just produces a really bad sound. No matter what speakers I hook up, they sound very tinny. Even my usually warm sounding Klipsch speakers sound notably worse with this system. I would advise buying something else.

Purchased At:   Crutchfield

Submitted by Brian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
The 5 MD-changer is the best reason to get this unit. I got it from crutchfield for $399 on monthly installment plan, so it was affordable. Also, I like the titling features for CD, MD, and radio stations.

The included speakers don't sound that great; I replaced them with a pair of Infinity RS-1s, and now it sounds awesome! I'm hoping to add a small subwoofer to the system soon.

It's a good system for small spaces, and for anyone who loves MD or would like to get into it. I have a home deck and portable unit, so this minisystem is perfect in my bedroom.

Submitted by Brian Bunn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 19, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have just purchased the Sony DHC-555 mini hi-fi component system and have to say it is one awesome mini system. 5 CD changer, 5 MD changer, good sound quality, full function remote, and very attractive looks. This is a MiniDisc recording dream machine. If you are not familiar with MiniDisc (MD) then I suggest you get familiar with it, because it is quite possibly the coolest audio format to ever come along. The editing capabilities are endless. I won't go into it anymore than that, but I completely love MD and have a home recording deck, a car deck, a portable player, and now this incredible mini system, featuring MiniDisc. When Sony put this unit out, its list price was $850!! Kinda steep for a mini system. But of course nobody would ever pay list price. I purchased it for $499 at J & R Music World, and it is every bit worth it at that price. It is loaded with features too numerous to name here. But where this baby stands out is in its digital recording capabilities. Record 5 separate CD's to 5 MD's, "seamless" recording, program recording, record long radio programs onto as many as 5 MD's. Whatever your heart desires. Sleep timer, wake timer (wake to CD, MD, or Radio), record timer. Label up to 100 CD's (Disc Memo), CD Text, MD Walkman link jack (for Sony portable MD players & recorders), headphone jack, Spectrum Analyzer, connections for a Tape Deck, VCR, TV, or DVD Player (although there are no digital inputs). These are a few of the features. One thing I don't like about it is the inability to adjust bass and treble manually. You can boost bass with DBFB (Dynamic Bass Feedback), but the only other adjustments that can be made in the sound are done through 10 Preset EQ's. And the majority of these result in less than desirable sound. The Sony web page for this product mentions a "5-band equalizer", but there is not one, which kind of defeats the purpose of having a Spectrum Analyzer. But the system sounds great just the way it is, although I have been using the "Rock" preset EQ, which sounds good. The speakers it comes with are cool looking, and sound very good, with surprising bass output. Oh, I almost forgot. You can purchase a Personal Computer Connecting Kit (the PCLK-PX1) direct from Sony (for $149) and connect the DHC-MD555 to your computer and operate it through your computer and label MD's with your computer keyboard. Pretty cool. But for now I just use my Sony home deck remote, which has the mini-keyboard, to label MD's. It is much easier than doing it on the unit itself, which is kinda tedious. I am going to enjoy this system very much. An MD recording powerhouse, this baby is. If you love MiniDisc like I do, and can deal with the relatively high price (compared to other mini sytems without MD), then by all means look into this incredible system!! Nice going Sony.