Sony CMT-EX1 Mini Systems

4.25/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $350.00

Vertical Loading CD Player - 15 Watts/Channel

Submitted by Jan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2015

Bottom Line:
I found mine in a thrift store. They had just unpacked it. I could tell I had found something great when I turned it on. Looks brand new. Not a scratch on it. And I paid $15.00!!!

Submitted by Mr.Szabo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2007

Bottom Line:
I purchased it about 6 years ago, and I have to say that it's held up very well. It gets used every morning (alarm clock), whenever i'm on the computer, or whenever we need sound out on the deck. I should note that it's even taken a fall or two off the desk.

Purchased At:   A&B

Submitted by Matias Schweigert a

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
I love its incredible crisp and clean sound, decent bass and slick 007 design. Its a conversation peice as well as a great little sounding system for a good price!!

Submitted by Dwayne a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have used the CMT EX-1 for over a year now and love it. I have used it as my bedroom system and about 6 months ago I connected a 13"dvd combo to it. I have to say that DVD's sound great with the cheeseball surround on! I would prefer it have just a bit more wattage, it distorts a little easily. If I had known about the CMT EX-22, I probably would have bought that instead. Great remote control, access is easy and intuitive. Overall a great buy if you can get it for under $300. I bought mine for 250 and the next day they had the price at 300. I must have caught a sale or something. It really is more like a 200-230$ unit in my opinion, but the uniqueness was worth the little extra I paid.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by griffin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
The novelty of this piece is its best feature. It sounds a little better than any "boom box". Of course in purchasing a piece like this, expectations aren't very high, but I was looking forward to a little more potential. Although the equipment is at the $300 price point, it should have possessed better lows and more resolution. Sony could have built a better product. The ergonomics are exceptional and it’s easy to utilize the remote for all options on the unit. The only awkward thing is the 1/8 inch headphone jack in the back of the unit. Advice for purchase: I would recommend purchase, however at a price range of no more than $150-$200.

Purchased At:   best buys