Sony CMT-EX1 Mini Systems

4.2/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $350.00

Vertical Loading CD Player - 15 Watts/Channel

Submitted by Mr.Szabo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2007

Bottom Line:
I purchased it about 6 years ago, and I have to say that it's held up very well. It gets used every morning (alarm clock), whenever i'm on the computer, or whenever we need sound out on the deck. I should note that it's even taken a fall or two off the desk.

Purchased At:   A&B

Submitted by Matias Schweigert a

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
I love its incredible crisp and clean sound, decent bass and slick 007 design. Its a conversation peice as well as a great little sounding system for a good price!!

Submitted by Dwayne a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have used the CMT EX-1 for over a year now and love it. I have used it as my bedroom system and about 6 months ago I connected a 13"dvd combo to it. I have to say that DVD's sound great with the cheeseball surround on! I would prefer it have just a bit more wattage, it distorts a little easily. If I had known about the CMT EX-22, I probably would have bought that instead. Great remote control, access is easy and intuitive. Overall a great buy if you can get it for under $300. I bought mine for 250 and the next day they had the price at 300. I must have caught a sale or something. It really is more like a 200-230$ unit in my opinion, but the uniqueness was worth the little extra I paid.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by griffin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
The novelty of this piece is its best feature. It sounds a little better than any "boom box". Of course in purchasing a piece like this, expectations aren't very high, but I was looking forward to a little more potential. Although the equipment is at the $300 price point, it should have possessed better lows and more resolution. Sony could have built a better product. The ergonomics are exceptional and it’s easy to utilize the remote for all options on the unit. The only awkward thing is the 1/8 inch headphone jack in the back of the unit. Advice for purchase: I would recommend purchase, however at a price range of no more than $150-$200.

Purchased At:   best buys

Submitted by JOHN REILLY a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
LISTEN, MY REASON FOR THE REVIEW, IS TO LET YOU KNOW THERE IS ANOTHER UNIT OUT THERE, THE SONY CMT-EX22. FOR ANOTHER 50 BUCKS IT'S A MUCH BETTER UNIT WITH EVEN BETTER LOOKS. IT'S ESSENTIALLY THE SAME SET, HOWEVER IT IS FINISHED IN BLACK LACQUER, HAS BETTER SPEAKERS AND GIVES YOU BASE AND TREBLE CONTROL OR DSG WITH A CHOICE OF SURROUND ON BOTH. SPEAKER PLACEMENT AND ALL THAT OTHER STUFF DOES NOT SEEM TO MATTER, IT SOUNDS GOOD. FORTUNATELY, THE DIFFERENCE, WAS POINTED OUT TO ME BY AN ALERT SALESMAN AT THE WHIZ. I RETURNED TO HARVEY AND EXCHANGED THE EX1 FOR THE EX22. I THINK SONY WOULD HAVE DONE BETTER TO PRESENT THE CMT-EX22 IN WOOD OR BLACK LACQUER AND DELETE THE HOLLOW, HARSH SOUNDING CMT-EX1. I HEARD THE BOSE WAVE, ALSO THE TIVOLI 1 AND FOR YOUR OWN PRIVATE SPACE AT $350.00 THIS IS A BETTER SOUND.

Purchased At:   HARVEY ELECTRONICS