Philips FW C550 Mini Systems

4.45/5 (11 Reviews)

The FW-C55 plays music with features as aggressive as its design. Kick up your music with 3-step dynamic bass boost for greater bass tones, maximum sound for instant power boost during favorite passages in music, and 3-way bass reflex system for optimum sound at all frequencies. Track your 240 watts of pure power with the interactive dashboard display.

Other features of this mini system include a 3-CD changer that is CD, CD-R, and CD-RW compatible. Use your digital tuner with 40 presets to switch between your favorite stations. The dual logic tape deck allows you to listen or record your favorite music.

Submitted by rugrat a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2009

Bottom Line:
My younger brother has one of these and here are my thoughts. I have tested it thoroughly.

As most mini systems it puts out way too much mid-bass It bass a huge hump around 200-300 hz's.
It can't do real bass at all. When you try to have it play low stuff it just doesn't play it or distorts

Overall i think it's a waste of money The midbass is way too loud and it distorts a lot. The midbass also sounds very fake and over EQed. It can't produce bass and it the highs are anything, but crystal clear.
I put in many of my favorite cd's and it butchered them. One of my favorite songs has a very clear high soprano voice and this system added a midbass white noise to the voice which sounded awful. Number one you want something that is Eqed flat and that can hit bass notes.

You would be better of buying a pair of active studio monitors. For $40 dollars more you could buy the wharfdale active diamond 8.1's which does sound worlds better, because it doesn't have that loud annoying mid bass.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by carramr0d87 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2009

Bottom Line:
MAazing Sound System. Never had a better stereo! Sounds Great and Look cool too

Stengths: Amazing Sound and Volume with the MAX button, aux input, 3-cd player

Weaknesses: NONE!

Submitted by Devin a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
I am amazed at the power I receive from this unit. The clarity is excellent. It caused one of my friends, who is a musician, to run out and buy one himself.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Mark Beckwith a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2004

Bottom Line:
I've had the Phillips for about 2 years, it has one problem with the speaker,there is a whole in it someone stabbed it. Even with the whole, it still pounds like the day I bought it. It's a great stereo! I've always been a Phillips fan....but now I really am!

Purchased At:   Wal-Mart

Submitted by Nathan Webster a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
Way to go Philips! About time someone got it right. I've been meaning to write a review on this system for a couple years now, but even after 2 years of extreme abuse when no one is in the house, this has held up great. The sound is the most accurate I have heard from anything short of a component system. Far superior to any other little Hi-Fi out there. The sound is crystal clear, but yet has enough bass to shake the walls of my house, and the power to back it up. Usually you will find a system that will put out lots of bump, but as soon as you turn it up, it's all over. The volume goes to 40 on it, and with full bass boost on and at 35, it will crank even techno without a hiccup. Oh yea, one of the nicest features of this you will use once is when you first plug it in, it will find all available radio stations automatically. Great if the power goes out, even though it has been out here for up to 8 hours, and all I have lost is the time. When I bought this I was all about Aiwa, but Philips showed me what's up. Philip's all the way! :)

Purchased At:   best buy